Speeco 28 Ton splitter leaking oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My not even one year old Speeco 28 Ton SplitMaster has a small hydraulic oil leak at the control valve. It seems to be leaking a little bit from the end cap at the opposite end of the control handle, the cap held on with 2 allen head screws. I took the cap off and found there was no gasket or "O" ring, nothing. Could be something missing? Or is it just a metal to metal seal? It is not under pressure but hydraulic oil is present under the aluminum relief cap. Should I try making a gasket and put on the cover?

It had a small bur on the aluminum end cap I took a very fine file and filed it flat and smooth. cleaned it up and applied a very thin coat of aviation gasket cement and put it back together. I haven't tried it yet but hopefully it seals. I can't find any kind of parts breakdown, other than they call it the auto return control valve.

Speeco buys most of their control valve from Energy Mfg. Make sure your valve says "ENERGY" on it between the two work ports and on the end of the detent cover. If it does not, you have a valve they buy from China. If it does say Energy, here is the parts breakdown and instructions. You most likely need the seal kit, 0A007238.
http://www.energymfg.com/online-catalog/log-splitter-valve-accessories.html

Latest posts

Back