speed master chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cachehunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i seen this grinder in baileys catalog and was thinking of buying one for use around the shop. Does anyone have one that could tell me if it a good quailty grinder and how they like it thanks

Hi cachehunter,

The Speed Master looks an awful lot like the Tecomec Mini Jolly but with more plastic. Plastic isn`t inherently bad except that it may be if the vise is plastic as it appears to be. It also appears from looking at the picture that the bracket holding the motor to the mounting base may be plastic although I can`t be sure.

I had a Mini a long time ago and it served it`s purpose, but I have since found that there are much better grinders available if you can justify the expense. The motor on the Mini is too fast and a bit weak IMO. The small wheel size also precludes finding a borazon wheel for it. The chain vise does not tilt for the 10° topplate grind on chisel chain but that might not be significant to you. Centering the wheel relative to the vise was always a challenge also and the grinder lacked a light. Even with these shortcomings(in my mind anyway) illustrated, the Mini can be servicable.

You might be interested in trying to find a Tecomec FL136 or Oregon 511A. They are better grinders and you may get a new one in the $200 range if you watch eBay. You might spend quite a bit less if you go used.

Russ

I have a new in the box Grinder (the exact same model as an Oregon 511A) that I bought for $250.00 plus shipping. I will sell it for the same + shipping to you. Looks like I'm gonna go with a Silvey. I havent even opened the box yet.

(If its not ok to sell in this forum please delete this message. I'm not a dealer or anything but dont want to step on anyones toes.)

Latest posts

Back