Sphaeropsis on holly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeman14

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Tree in question is Ilex x attenuata 'East Paltka'

Size - Thirty feet tall, twenty foot spread, multi-stemmed, about 25 years old.

Symptoms - heavy leaf drop and witches brooms

Question - What is the latest recommended treatment? Typically, we would prune out as much of the infected limbs as possible, sanitizing tools between cuts. (Yes, I followed that thread, too.)

Would a severe crown reduction prolong the life of this tree?

Are there any fungicides labeled for control of Sphaeropsis on holly?

When I worked at Davey, our spray tech was really up on this. I remember him showing me several E. Palatka hollys with the symptoms. He said there was no known cure for it, pruning out as much of the witch's brooms as you can will slow it down some. It will continue to spread, similar to mistletoe. No cure, if there are other holly trees nearby then you should remove the infected tree before it spreads.

Its somewhat of a specimen tree, planted in an open atrium near the front of the house. Sentimental value and all that. No other hollies around, but they definitely do not want to lose this one.

If you like, you can call Scotto tomorrow morning and ask him. He knows wayyyy more about it than me. Email me or PM me for the phone number.

Latest posts

Back