Spiderjack question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone give me a reason the LJ isnt the the better choice given its abilty to go on mid line? Is the SJ smoother on desent? Does the rope feed through the SJ better? Seems like the LJ is a no brainer. As for the screamer, I can see where AA is coming from. I wouldnt use it but the idea is sound. Just need to do away with the break away part. But a stiffer extention like it is a good way to go I think. This of course coming from someone who doesnt even have a SJ or a LJ :laugh:.

And also, what is that velcro really doing anyway? Is it just keeping things neat n tidy or is it actually important for the climbing line to stay RIGHT there? I just dont quit see why you need it or at least need it EVERY time you hook n unhook. I mean once you are at your final TIP then ya use it but if you know you will be re setting a few times in a short amount of time why bother with the velcro?

The LJ is a better choice, in fact the only choice, if you need to attach the device on mid-line. The SJ is supposed to give finer one handed control, but I have not found that to be a problem with the LJ, I just grab the wooden ball and the rope together when using it one handed and friction against the ball does the same thing as using the wood part of the SJ to control friction.

The velcro on the SJ holds everything in position, but not using it (I lost mine when I lost the screw holding it) without the velcro works, but makes it hard if not impossible for the rope to "flow" through it when ascending, so it is an important part of the functionality of the device. With the LJ this is not a factor as the rope itself orients the device for rope flow while going up.

The LJ is a better choice, in fact the only choice, if you need to attach the device on mid-line. The SJ is supposed to give finer one handed control, but I have not found that to be a problem with the LJ, I just grab the wooden ball and the rope together when using it one handed and friction against the ball does the same thing as using the wood part of the SJ to control friction.

The velcro on the SJ holds everything in position, but not using it (I lost mine when I lost the screw holding it) without the velcro works, but makes it hard if not impossible for the rope to "flow" through it when ascending, so it is an important part of the functionality of the device. With the LJ this is not a factor as the rope itself orients the device for rope flow while going up.

Ok, I am pretty sure I understand about the velcro. With the LJ, if you are attaching mid line, are there any pieces that could be dropped? Not counting the entire device OBV. Also I am alittle confused about the rope n clutch thing. Read the second paragraph under the description. Last I checked 1/2 inch was 13mm. Have you used any rope other than the 12.5 imori? I would be using mostly 11.7 and 11.5 rope so just makes me wonder.
LockJack Sport : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

In the case of the lockJack the cam is held in place by a captive screw. To install it on a rope you take the cam (or clutch as they call it) completely out of the device. It has a retaining cord that prevents dropping it.

The LockJack has different cams for different sized rope so make sure you get one for the rope you intend to use it with. I just bought a new (11.5 mm Lava) rope and had to get the 11 mm cam for the LockJack to hold on it. The cams wear out and you need to replace them periodically. I'm on my third cam after two years of constant use.

The SpiderJack works for more rope (11mm ~ 13 mm) without having to change the cam so in that sense it is more versatile than the LockJack. I put the SJ on my Imori rope (as pictured) and it just stays on the rope ready for use. I do the same with the LockJack, I just leave it on the rope I use it with, but I can take it off and use another rope with it, as long as it's the same diameter rope.

My LockJack didn't hold well on the 12mm Imori (it would "creep") but that could have been that my 12 ~ 13 mm cam was worn, a new cam might hold OK on Imori. My advice is get both cams with your LockJack and you are covered.

Last edited:
In the case of the lockJack the cam is held in place by a captive screw. To install it on a rope you take the cam (or clutch as they call it) completely out of the device. It has a retaining cord that prevents dropping it.

The LockJack has different cams for different sized rope so make sure you get one for the rope you intend to use it with. I just bought a new (11.5 mm Lava) rope and had to get the 11 mm cam for the LockJack to hold on it. The cams wear out and you need to replace them periodically. I'm on my third cam after two years of constant use.

The SpiderJack works for more rope (11mm ~ 13 mm) without having to change the cam so in that sense it is more versatile than the LockJack. I put the SJ on my Imori rope (as pictured) and it just stays on the rope ready for use. I do the same with the LockJack, I just leave it on the rope I use it with, but I can take it off and use another rope with it, as long as it's the same diameter rope.

My LockJack didn't hold well on the 12mm Imori (it would "creep") but that could have been that my 12 ~ 13 mm cam was worn, a new cam might hold OK on Imori. My advice is get both cams with your LockJack and you are covered.

Sometimes all this mid line cam velcro screamer tether biner which is better SJ LJ ID or unicender makes me wanna buy a 120 feet of saftey blue (white) and just work both ends of it with a blakes and be done with it....LOL :laugh:

Last edited:
Sometimes all this mid line cam velcro screamer tether biner which is better SJ LJ ID or unicender makes me wanna buy a 120 feet of saftey blue (white) and just work both ends of it with a blakes and be done with it....LOL :laugh:

Actually my new rope is a 200' with tight eyes at both ends. I carry a Yates mechanical grab on my saddle to use the tail of the rope when I need to for positioning.

Once you use either a LockJack or a SpiderJack you won't want to go back to any type of hitch for your climbing.

150' of safety blue here, working both ends with a taughtline, two on the bottom, one on top. It's the actual cutting that counts in my book. If some of these people could cut trees as good as they can type about it, they would be downright nasty! Lol.

150' of safety blue here, working both ends with a taughtline, two on the bottom, one on top. It's the actual cutting that counts in my book. If some of these people could cut trees as good as they can type about it, they would be downright nasty! Lol.

Dude that hurt...I haven't posted any videos with me accessing a tree on a ladder, or cutting from one, or one handing my saw while only having one point of attachement, or acting like a self proclaimed professional and so on and so on. as far as climbing techniques I still DRT with a Blakes hitch, or a VT and hitch climber, I also use a SJ and have not found myself fumbling or getting agravated that I have to use the velcro. In addition I SRT for ascending as well as work off of it with a Rope Wrench. Personally I feel there is no one best climbing technique for all situations unless it is the only one you use and then it is best because you would be proficient and safe with it. I see your point and agree that there are those who unnecessarily over complicate things and never become great or even good at climbing.
Scrat

Dude that hurt...I haven't posted any videos with me accessing a tree on a ladder, or cutting from one, or one handing my saw while only having one point of attachement, or acting like a self proclaimed professional and so on and so on. as far as climbing techniques I still DRT with a Blakes hitch, or a VT and hitch climber, I also use a SJ and have not found myself fumbling or getting agravated that I have to use the velcro. In addition I SRT for ascending as well as work off of it with a Rope Wrench. Personally I feel there is no one best climbing technique for all situations unless it is the only one you use and then it is best because you would be proficient and safe with it. I see your point and agree that there are those who unnecessarily over complicate things and never become great or even good at climbing.
Scrat

I signed in quick just to "Like", that post.

Things are evolving in their own way for me too lately, as far as the climbing goes... for what its worth. I tried the VT and 8mm HRC cord, hitchclimber, and all that #### (for about a year or so), and still went back. Yeah, I could've played around with different cords/wraps, etc., but I wasn't feeling it.

I have known how to DL footlock for a decade and a half too, but screw that, the wraptor and a good bucket are key players at this point! Lol, hate to admit it!!

Last edited:
I signed in quick just to "Like", that post.

Things are evolving in their own way for me too lately, as far as the climbing goes... for what its worth. I tried the VT and 8mm HRC cord, hitchclimber, and all that #### (for about a year or so), and still went back. Yeah, I could've played around with different cords/wraps, etc., but I wasn't feeling it.

I have known how to DL footlock for a decade and a half too, but screw that, the wraptor and a good bucket are key players at this point! Lol, hate to admit it!!

Tree MDS
Hey thanks for the 'like', CT is not far from NY, it would be great to get together, networking with others and swaping ideas on gear and technique has proven to be useful and cool in my experience. I have "0" bucket time and never tried a Wraptor but have a lot of tree time via rope access and have done quite a bit of rigging. I'm sure we could learn a lot from each others climbing styles. I believe in being safe and proficient. PM me if you are interested and want to talk about it.
Scrat

Tree MDS
Hey thanks for the 'like', CT is not far from NY, it would be great to get together, networking with others and swaping ideas on gear and technique has proven to be useful and cool in my experience. I have "0" bucket time and never tried a Wraptor but have a lot of tree time via rope access and have done quite a bit of rigging. I'm sure we could learn a lot from each others climbing styles. I believe in being safe and proficient. PM me if you are interested and want to talk about it.
Scrat

I would like to check out the rope wrench and SJ on an actual job site. Do you do much pruning? Maybe you could help with that sometime and check out the wraptor, I'm not really a big fan of that type work myself.

I would like to check out the rope wrench and SJ on an actual job site. Do you do much pruning? Maybe you could help with that sometime and check out the wraptor, I'm not really a big fan of that type work myself.

Sounds like fun. We rec climb on weekends and occasssionally we do charity work for those who can't afford it. Those are better times to try gear out since you are not fighting the clock and watching $ signs. It is also a working enviroment like you are interested in. I just gave my climbing/working buddy a Unicender for XMas so that is available to try also.

We would be glad to come out to CT too

Last edited:

If you like that rope wrench...I have one for sale. Only used once, I am no srt guy. Other than getting my butt up there but after that i am cool on srt. I also have the quick release pin.

wooden thumb brake

This question is for anyone who has time on the SJ. The wooden brake has slots that give me the impression that it can be adjusted to suit something. What does the adjustment give or takeaway?

srting up to your sj

Ok, gave the SJ another run today, shot a line maybe 15m srt up, lanyarded in and set up the SJ Ddrt terminated it with the anchor bend and had another swing on it. It's a great bit of kit controlled descents are easy and either hand over hand or 2 hands on my hand ascender to ascend is quite easy. The anchor bend seemed ilke it worked well i kept a close eye on it whilst swinging around to make sure it didn't interfere with the SJ but all looked good it doesn't really touch the device at all with the piece of rubber hose installed. I still haven't figured out how to use a foot ascender properly with it yet maybe cause it feels like it won't grab after a push with the foot or i'm just not trusting it enough i don't know. I was also wondering how to leave it on the line then do a srt ascent and have it ready for me at the TIP and thought if i set my line cinched around limb with the SJ on the ground and a stopper knot underneth it so i can just haul it up, set it up Ddrt and off i go, i may give that a go tomorrow :)
Nick

I have seen one climber sling a single line over a limb with a spliced end. When he pulled the eye to the ground he just simply ran a biner through the eye and clipped it to the up rope and pulled to the top like a running bowline. He srted up to it and lanyard off, the took the biner and attached it to the top of his hitch pully. Im going to conduct some trials with the SJ asap. I have a rope walker srt. Youll need a upper harrness to hold up the sj or use your lanyard over the shoulder like with rope wrenchm,demo.

I have seen one climber sling a single line over a limb with a spliced end. When he pulled the eye to the ground he just simply ran a biner through the eye and clipped it to the up rope and pulled to the top like a running bowline. He srted up to it and lanyard off, the took the biner and attached it to the top of his hitch pully. Im going to conduct some trials with the SJ asap. I have a rope walker srt. Youll need a upper harrness to hold up the sj or use your lanyard over the shoulder like with rope wrenchm,demo.

Be real careful! you will find out the SJ does not agree with SRT ascents and without the side attachement it does not grab consistently. It does not work well with a lower point ascender such as a pantin. Sorry to be brief but it is late.

Be real careful! you will find out the SJ does not agree with SRT ascents and without the side attachement it does not grab consistently. It does not work well with a lower point ascender such as a pantin. Sorry to be brief but it is late.

Will do. I always ascend on new equipment with a second trailing a shunt.

Back