Spike + Pine = good choice!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolCat44

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
In a very tall pine tree close to the cottage, there're a lot of dead branches. It seems's that the only way up is to climb the tree with spike. No latter are high enough ou accessible with a lift. The first 50 foot is like a telephone post.

My question, there will be at least 4 up and down, will that hurt a lot the tree? Bug damage!?!

Many thanks for your answer!

CoolCat

In a very tall pine tree close to the cottage, there're a lot of dead branches. It seems's that the only way up is to climb the tree with spike. No latter are high enough ou accessible with a lift. The first 50 foot is like a telephone post.

My question, there will be at least 4 up and down, will that hurt a lot the tree? Bug damage!?!

Many thanks for your answer!

CoolCat

Spikes should only be used when your taking down a tree. They are very destructive to a tree.

Hire a professional and they will be able to do the required pruning without damage to the tree.

Last edited:
PS That device... is it the only alternative? Big Shot Line Launcher

Doubtful that is the only alternative. Depending on how well you can throw: Arborist Throw Bags and Weights

It doesn't sound as though your an experienced tree climber. That is a tall enough tree that your going to die if you fall.

There is no way it is safe to climb that without the proper gear, which will cost you at least a few hundred dollars for 1 person.

You also need to know enough to make accurate judgement about what is and isn't safe to rope onto. A pine tree isn't exactly the easiest.

There are so many safety aspects that need to be considered with a tree of that size that if you don't have experience you should really for your own sake stay away.

Also; Why is the tree limbed up 50'? That is obviously way too high to have just been limbed up for walking under it or for even a house that it could have been growing into. How tall is this tree? Having the first 50' of limbs cut off makes me seriously question if the tree is even worth saving.

A picture would help in the trees evaluation.

Back