spikes kicked out yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always been told by EVERYONE to only sharpen the bottom.

Same here. I may take a quick stoke down the outside faces to knock off any burrs after sharpening, but that's it. The underside is the only face i really file. Besides, it takes alot of filing to work down to the "thick" part of the gaff. Usually just a few strokes a couple times a week to touch them up and they will still last me 6 months or better. Besides, once you get down to the "thick" part of the gaff, they are too short anyway. Just my $.02.:)

I may be going out on a limb here but maybe you should hire a professional. You can find them pretty cheap @ about 500 a day and up. They get paid to put their ass on the line.:bang:

I do hire a "professional" once in a while.... His name is Pat... and he always comes with a smile, is enthusiastic about the work, puts the wood on the ground in short order without any upset or aggrivation... He doesn't complain. He just comes to do the job and will get it done safely, pretty much no matter what it is. He communiates and works well with the ground crew. And he's always reasonable and fair with his compensation. I really enjoy working with him. He's got a great work ethic and his joy and enthusiasm are uplifting to all.
And..... He learned from THE BEST!

Murph, glad u r ok. You, know its the big "B's" stance that the stubs come off, but i always leave a few strategically placed (2-3") on the dropside of the spar to catch me if needed. The divits in the turf are a small price to pay. As for spikes I buy new (core) climbing gear every 18 months or so ie, saddle, spikes. Ropes and other such accutrements i purchase as needed, much more regularly. I sharpen my own saw chains but as for spikes, i would rather buy new.

Now that can't all be true. Lets start with comes to work with a smile. He doesn't have any teeth. So lets say he comes with a grin. Gets it done safely. Now this must only apply to personal safety and not property.

I guess there is something yet for Pat to learn from me. Pats' prices have just gone up. Gotta spread the love around and pay the man his dues.

Back