spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbormonkey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Right now I am using B'ham steel spikes with Cadillac pads and am rather content with them. However, looking through the catologues I have become curious about some of the new(er) setups. So does anyone have any experience with Wolf Claws or Gecko T2's? How about Komets? Is there anything else I am missing? Just trying to gather some first hand information, any comments appreciated.

-AM

first pair

I am currently looking into my first set of spurs myself... the b-hams are ok for you then arbormonkey? no comfort issues on long climbs? I'm not to worried about weight for my first pair, just don't want anything jabbing into the side of my leg on my first set.:confused:

It's my opinion that gaffs and proper gaff maintenance is one of the most overlooked items that can get otherwise good climbers in serious trouble.

Keeping gaffs razor sharp is the key to dealing successfully with dense, dead hardwoods. Keeping them sharp shortens all gaffs, especially pole gaffs, this means replacing pole gaffs often to maintain sufficient length to get through the cambial region and into the xylem or heartwood of the tree you're climbing. I use tree gaffs on big conifers and such, but all of my hardwoods are done with shorter pole gaffs. But letting them get less than 1 1/2 inches can result kicking out in thicker cambium eucs on the lower trunk wood.

But after I snapped the steel shank on an old Buck gaff coming down a big dead euc hard, I switched to their new Titanium gaffs. Unfortunately they changed the design of the replacement gaffs between the old and the new.

Keeping a high quality 1/8 punch at hand made replacing gaffs on the old Bucks easy and quick, and the gaffs took a file well.

I don't like the new design on the titanium replacement gaffs at all. It's kinda sad when you pay more money and get less actual gaff, atleast on the pole gaffs it's true.

I was very shocked and traumatized when that steel shank in my old steel Bucks snapped in half coming down that dead euc at the zoo. I wear the Bashlin steel spurstays, the leather ones on my Bucks, and I guess the play of steel on steel caused the main body of the Bucks to snap about 4 inches from the top on my right side, I was very lucky I didn't snap my right ankle when they broke.

Keep them sharp and keep replacement sets at hand.

Any climber that doesn't wear some kind of steel upper spurstays on their spikes is a pain loving rookie!

jomoco

how old?

Nice info Jomoco, just out of curiosity how old was the spur that snapped? Thats something I certainly didn't consider, not on steel spurs anyways, I'd expect that a little more from an old aluminum set... are there any guarantees that come with a new set?

I use Gecko's with the american tree spikes, they are awesome, about 325 a set but well worth it when I consider the upcoming payment on my bucket if ya get what I'm saying.

I've not used the geckos myself, but know people who have used them and gone back to standard. I know people who love them too.

I had Wolf for several years, but got sick of having the ankle brace getting in the way in crotches and such. If you've spent a lot of time in standard gaffs, these probably would annoy you.

That said though, if you need extra ankle support, they do give that.

I'm in a standard aluminum bent style gaff with Buck' Velcro wraps and steel inserts.

I've not used the geckos myself, but know people who have used them and gone back to standard. I know people who love them too.

I had Wolf for several years, but got sick of having the ankle brace getting in the way in crotches and such. If you've spent a lot of time in standard gaffs, these probably would annoy you.

That said though, if you need extra ankle support, they do give that.

I'm in a standard aluminum bent style gaff with Buck' Velcro wraps and steel inserts.
Maybe its something to do with how tall a person is, I'm only 5'10" and cant even feel the Geckos after 6 hrs in a tree finishing up 385xp on big wood.

Nice info Jomoco, just out of curiosity how old was the spur that snapped? Thats something I certainly didn't consider, not on steel spurs anyways, I'd expect that a little more from an old aluminum set... are there any guarantees that come with a new set?

My old set of steel Bucks were about 10 years old when the steel shank snapped on one of them. It was obvious afterwards that it was an old hairline fracture because of the rust across over half of the fracture face itself.

I still like the old steel Bucks best even though the new titaniums are much lighter and presumably stronger, they're definitely alot more expensive to buy and maintain.

Old school rules!

jomoco

I can't quite figure out what the "Cadillac" pads are. Any help? I just got a set of B'ham steels with velcro wrap and steel insert 3 weeks ago. I couldn't believe the difference from the old leather "T" straps. Very comfortable. When these wear out I'll probably get the Gecko's though.

I can't quite figure out what the "Cadillac" pads are. Any help? I just got a set of B'ham steels with velcro wrap and steel insert 3 weeks ago. I couldn't believe the difference from the old leather "T" straps. Very comfortable. When these wear out I'll probably get the Gecko's though.

Here are some pics. They are cast aluminum with a half inch of padding. Bulky but comfortable and secure.

Well I'm all about the oldschool so I think I'll go with the tried and tested b-ham steels for my first set, thanks for the info jomoco! Time to order me some spurs! :clap:

Well I'm all about the oldschool so I think I'll go with the tried and tested b-ham steels for my first set, thanks for the info jomoco! Time to order me some spurs! :clap:

Those spikes will have the meat and potatoes you need. I run the Bashlin aluminums and like them after running steel ones for years. In my opinion, the only major difference is weight. With the steel ones you don't have stab so hard to get a good bite. The only thing I really like in a set of tree hooks is a long straight gaff, but that is just a preference thing. Hope you like them.

Yeah I thought about alum for the weight... but for the added $$$ I think I'd rather just deal with the exercise for now haha, next set will be a titanium/alum/composite or whatever new technology has rolled around by then. I feel more comfortable climbing in steel spurs for now anyways. Thanks nails :chainsaw:

tree MDS said:

Maybe its something to do with how tall a person is, I'm only 5'10" and cant even feel the Geckos after 6 hrs in a tree finishing up 385xp on big wood.

6 hours in a tree?
I never thought of being in a tree that long.
How do you pee?
What did you do to that tree?
I'm not making fun, just really curious!

If I spend 1 hour up there on the spikes I am really miserable. Anything I can do to put my weight in the harness and on a rope is welcome.

Cheers,
Charlie K.

You just let it go, Charlie, let it go. Can even be warm and soothing for a while.

What did you do to that tree?
I'm not making fun, just really curious!

Trims and removals can be that long on big spreading trees.

I've had some big spreading threes in small back yards that take more then one day to get down and out. Wide canopy and no decent rigging points to "go big".

On trees with high deadwood loads, you need to work the tips a bit because you may have changed the moment of bend and mass dampening of the limb enough to cause an elevated risk of failure in moderate winds.

Back