spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe I read somewhere that the geckos are alot lighter but they do look comfy and well built I just got the geckos cuz a friend had them and I got to try em for some months and loved em, super comfy.

I just got the geckos cuz a friend had them and I got to try em for some months and loved em, super comfy.

good enough reason for me.

all i know about climbing equipment is that if i am going to be using it on the daily and it will make my life easier then i am going to spend the money. is this going to help my wallet any? no, but it will make me a better more efficient climber. which will lead to a fatter wallet anyway.

good enough reason for me.

all i know about climbing equipment is that if i am going to be using it on the daily and it will make my life easier then i am going to spend the money. is this going to help my wallet any? no, but it will make me a better more efficient climber. which will lead to a fatter wallet anyway.

...which will lead to :cheers:

Nice looking gear, Oldirty.
Please let us know what you think of those spikes tomorrow.
Do the Komets have a euro gaff or and american style tree gaff?

ive only spent about 20 mins in them twice but i like them. i am going to go out on a limb and say they are the euro gaff because i have never seen gaffs that look like these ones.

my only gripe will be the leather straps, i dont see them lasting very long. i think i am going to put switch them out for the harder leather version straps. these one seem like they should be on a coat.

i like em so far though, very quick adjustment to them.

hopefully i get a good climb in them before i take off so i know for sure about them.

my take on the komet's

yes they are light which is good.....but

they are not made for the hardcore go getters. the plastic is already fatigued and the bolts on them work them self loose, alot.

the euro gaffs are doo doo. and the velcro straps are already busting their stitches.

maybe they are made for the little guys out there but they couldnt handle what i put them through.

for 380$ i feel as if i got the shaft, big time. 2 months of climbing i got out of that 380. if anyone knows the guys at komet tell them to stick to the saddles.

Sorry to hear that Oldirty. What are you gonna try next?

I have a new pair of Bashlin steels with steel wraps and 3" straight gaffs I'm thinking about putting some time on. My regulars are Bashlin aluminum's with leather L-pads and the 3" straight gaffs. I don't have any problems or complaints about the aluminums, just thinking about switching it up to give my neglected pair some love and feel that old school weight again.

i have tried the red geckos and the were nice. lightweight buggers. but mine had the euro gaff, and they sucked!!! if you get geckos get the american gaffs. i havent tried the carbon fiber ones yet.

i did just get a pair of the klein adjustables though, am doin my first tree withem tomorrow

i was little harsh but all in all not very happy with them. nothing for longevity out of them. light they were though it was nice. i went back to my bashlins with the steel wrap past couple days and actually prefer them to the komets.

they were too short for me to get them to my comfort spot but i got over that quick because the weight. its the hard plastic and velcro wraps that didnt make it plus the bolts getting loose. i think i just weighed too much for them to handle.

too be honest nails gotta say if you can go light on your spike setup it'll save your knees abit of the wear and tear. the pulling apart of knee joints when you "unspike" happens less if your setup is light.

whats my next move regarding spikes? i'll make a move at a later date. i still got some love for them bashlin's.

i'll say this about the komets if you not over 6'2 ish you might find them nice and if you can find away to not let them get get banged up while you work you might like them. also your leg cant be too wide because they wont fit right. skinnier the better.

the weight was nice.

Spikes take a beating, that's just the way it is if you climb.

You probably know this OD, but when you pull your spike out you can drop your knee out and down and leverage them out instead of pulling straight up. I do it all the time if I am spiked in hard, saves torque on the knee joints, and puts the pivot on your hip joints.

Last edited:
i have tried the red geckos and the were nice. lightweight buggers. but mine had the euro gaff, and they sucked!!! if you get geckos get the american gaffs. i havent tried the carbon fiber ones yet.

i did just get a pair of the klein adjustables though, am doin my first tree withem tomorrow

they got that gaff that goes out and then down instead of straightdown? you'll like them. kleins were my first set of spikes but they didnt fit the steel wrap when i bought them and was not going to climb another day with that L pad so i traded gaffs with my former boss to get into the wraps i like the kleins though.

good luck with them, its a "good" different from the straight spike.

Last edited:
Spikes take a beating, that's just the way it is if you climb.

You probably know this OD, but when you pull your spike out you can drop your knee out and down and leverage them out instead of pulling straight up. I do it all the time if I am spiked in hard, saves torque on the knee joints, and puts the pivot on your hip joints.

true that.

i hear you with the spiking out but you'll notice it if your carrying less weight too. i hate having to hammer in the spikes it makes for a long day on the body.

well the new klines do the trick, but theyre a little heavy/ bulky and could use a wrap pad. really miss my geckos.... i might get a wrap for the klines, or just keep them as backups and spring the $450 for the new geckos

but over all the klines are a decent set of spikes

Latest posts

Back