Split Magnolia Branch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3jaw

Reaction score
HI,

I just found this site an I have a rather embarassing question. Keep in mind that I am a complete NOVICE when it comes to trees and landscaping. I planted a Little Gem magnolia back in the early spring and so far it is doing pretty good. (It actually produced a bloom and there is another on the way.) I noticed what appeared to be another bloom at the very top of the tree and when I bent the branch down to have a look, SNAP!!!:angry: The branch broke about 18 inches from the top at a fork. It didn't break completely off though. I was wondering if there is any way to save the branch (splinting?) or am I going to have to cut the branch completely off? The branch is only about 3\8 to 1\2 inch in diameter but it affects the shape of tree and I would really like to save it if possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

You might be able to splint it (hard to say without seeing it) but you will probably be much better off pruning the damage off. Even though it leaves the tree out of balance a young tree will normally recover quickly and can be pruned back into a good shape in the near future.

Pruning off a 3/8" limb should have absolutely no affect on the future shape of the tree. Snip it off back to a fork, and the tree can redirect it's growing energy to healthy tips. If you don't, the tree will probably redirect anyway.
Bring the blossom inside and put it in a bowl of water so you can enjoy the scent. Just don't touch the petals, they will turn brown in hours from the oil in our skin.

Back