splitter opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle1!

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello, I have been driving by this splitter for the past few weeks on the way to work. Today I stopped and snapped some pictures because I have been reading this forum to much.

How hard would it be to convert this to a stand alone unit from the current setup? When you look at the axle housing it looks like the splitter will pivot (grease zert) for horizontal or vertical splitting. The tires are 15in to give some scale to the size of the splitter. I didn't measure the cylinder but it looked like a 5" x 24"/30" I have a fairly new 11hp BS engine that I could use. Looks like I would need a pump, tank and a few hoses plus welding.

I called the guy about it and he wanted $500 for it said it worked just fine the last time he used it. A little steep I thought but if I started from scratch maybe the price isn't so bad.

Brian

Pass if he's firm on 500. 200 is the max I'd pay and that's only if I was sure it was a 5 inch cylinder, It doesn't look like a 30" stroke. If it was a 5 inch that beam would not handle it anyway. My opinion is pass.

IMO it is overpriced and too lightly built. The cylinder eye looks all right but that U channel on the end the wood rests again is dubious. Given that you have a motor your cost will be valve - gt it at a salvage yard and a pump - get a 2 stage one and with luck you might find that at a salvage yard also. Both items, used won't be a steep bite but you will be buying a pig in a poke.

Harry K

I'm running a 5/30 ram. over in the Splitter Build off Thread there's pics.

In my personal opinion that would look good in the back of my truck headed to the scrap yard. The beam there is way to small and the basic design is flawed I mean that U channel on the back there looks like with the slightest bit of pressure the chunk will bend or the welds will shear off.

personally, I would keep on moving, even if he wanted to sell it for $200. you will end up busting it and have to build another. Better to spend more $ and get something beefy to start with that will last years than to go lightweight and bust it all the time. :censored: IMO

Some things aren't worth the hassle.

personally, I would keep on moving, even if he wanted to sell it for $200. you will end up busting it and have to build another. Better to spend more $ and get something beefy to start with that will last years than to go lightweight and bust it all the time. :censored: IMO

Some things aren't worth the hassle.

i gotta agree.

it looks weak at the end and some hard wood will bend that end plate over real quick....unless you plan on just splitting small diameter branches.

too bad he didn't spend as much time beefing up the beam as he did the axles.

I got a year old 21 Ton vertical/horizontal for $600 after pouring a bunch of $$$ into one that looked a little better than that. DUMB! DUMB! DUMB! Don't do it Man!

PASS.... wouldn't give $200 for that poorly built, undersized unit.

it's not worth repairing/upgrading. base 20 ton splitters are built much better than that. prices start at $800 range. go for a huskee/speeco

watch craigslist, they pop up for $600 range

I didn't measure the cylinder but it looked like a 5" x 24"/30" I have a fairly new 11hp BS engine that I could use. Looks like I would need a pump, tank and a few hoses plus welding.

Like everyone else, I'd say run. Really are you would be using is the cylinder, you have to replace everyhting else. and reinforcing the structural is more work than just starting from scratch....

k

The pump is going to cost you min 130 for a new one. I would definatly pass on this. You can find a good used one in the 500 range that has a motor and a pump.

Thanks everyone

Your opinions are highly valued. When he told me $500 my gut said no way but in the back of my mind I was trying to find a way to turn that piece of coal, the spilter, into diamond. Thanks

Brian

Pioneer,

Your opinions are highly valued. When he told me $500 my gut said no way but in the back of my mind I was trying to find a way to turn that piece of coal, the spilter, into diamond. Thanks

Brian

Hey Brian, at least you know a good seed when you see one,. Are you a dealer,?..E,J,

Back