Splitting maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Edwards

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can some 1 tell me the name of the splitting maul some 1 posted on here ? Best i remember it had a metalic finish and maybe small wings on the sides to help split? Think it was around the $60 mark in price , not sure.

I have a True Temper Splitting Axe that I really like. It has the width of a maul but with a skeletal? head. Less surface area touching the wood for less friction, but with the same width. 4 lbs. For myself, it beats the heck out of 6 and 8 lb. mauls. Splits better and less work.

B-Edwards said:
Can some 1 tell me the name of the splitting maul some 1 posted on here ? Best i remember it had a metalic finish and maybe small wings on the sides to help split? Think it was around the $60 mark in price , not sure.

It is called the "Vario 2000".

After seeing it on here I ordered one.
It works very well.
In fact it is my favorite of all the lighter mauls I have. When I split wood now, I take the 2000, and my 16# maul for the really big, or stubborn stuff.

I bought something similar to that at Home Depot about 6 months ago. I paid 30 bucks I think. Mine has a Red Resin handle and I love it. I have split about 12 cords or so with it and my other mauls and wedges.

mauls

my ex fil used a monster maul..i think thats what he called it. id rather use a go devil, although my dad would disagree since he gets tired of replacing handles lol its much easier for them to let me use the splitter! lol if your using a maul you need or must have serious muscles! they are heavy! and murder on your back! but im a wimpy anyway lol

maul

seems like the funny design mauls are a hit. They appeared to be too much like an axe to light and whatnot. i'll have to try one. has anyone had bad experiences with the maul sticking in the log? seems like those mauls with the narrow "knife" edge stick in certain circumstaces but other times they sail right thru.

EastwoodGang4 said:
seems like the funny design mauls are a hit. They appeared to be too much like an axe to light and whatnot. i'll have to try one. has anyone had bad experiences with the maul sticking in the log? seems like those mauls with the narrow "knife" edge stick in certain circumstaces but other times they sail right thru.

I have one that everyone is talking about. I think I got it at lowes or TSC.

I don't like it one bit. Yes, it sticks quite a bit. It is too light to effectively spilt green hardwood. I'll stick with my monster maul or my 8lber. It might be better spitting seasoned wood, but I split most of mine when it is cut down and this maul/axe/weird-head-thingy isn't doing me any good.

It wears me out more swinging a lighter axe/maul more times than a heavier one that does the job in less swings. I know I won't be able to swing a 16 lb maul for the rest of my life, but I will until I am old enough that I can't.

Freakingstang said:
I have one that everyone is talking about. I think I got it at lowes or TSC.

I don't like it one bit.
So what Maul are YOU talking about that u dont like ? Monster maul , helko Vario , other .

Rspike said:
So what Maul are YOU talking about that u dont like ? Monster maul , helko Vario , other .

Sorry

Is is the True temper version of the helko vario. Head looks very similar, but not as nicely built. Just your average 30 dollar fiberglass handle tawainese garbage.

I love my monster maul.

Freakingstang said:
Sorry

Is is the True temper version of the helko vario. Head looks very similar, but not as nicely built. Just your average 30 dollar fiberglass handle tawainese garbage.
Whue ........ I just ordered the big helko Vario 2 days ago . When i was at the local box stores and my TSC i didnt see anything except a monster maul and the standard looking maul in 6# & 8# models. I missed the sale of the helko Vario @ $57. and ened up paying the $67.oo .+$9. shipping. Bummer.

Monster Maul?

Hey were do they sell those Monster Maul? not sure how's looking like, but wanna check it out. Also, how expensive?
I have a 8 pound taiwanes one. Not sure if that's bad or not, cause that's the only one I used so far :buttkick: Back in Europe when I was a kid at my grandparents house they had a VERY sharp axe that would cut anything, as long as you knew how to use it. Grandpa even bought me a small one. I was the happiest kid in town.

Fiskars fan here

I have a Fiskars splitting maul that I absolutely love... anyone else have one of these?

chopping axe

how heavy are your fiskars splitting axes? just bought one from sears, but i think it is the 2.5 lb model "pro splitting axe". was thinking of trying the heavy 4# plus model. right now i am using a "deluxe" splitting axe from home deopt that is actually pretty good. thanks

I bought the Helko Vario 2000 and love it, it took a little getting used to with the curved handle but I would not trade it for anything.... well maybe my hyd splitter but nothing else.

Latest posts

Back