Sport falling by evil undocumented fallers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We are having a small outbreak by some folks who are cutting down healthy trees just to prove something.

The photos below were sent around by one of our law enforcement officers.
Where four of these trees have been cut down is in an area where there is very low annual rainfall and most Ponderosa are smallish. Since it is hard to get and keep these guys in this setting you can imagine how we don't want this to catch on.

Does anyone know of any websites where these avengers are posting their kills?

Thanks

Probably not any of the enviromental terrorist types...too much work for them. They'd rather pour sand in oil tanks etc. Look for a couple of kids with too much testoserone and not enough brains. And dull axes.

I would look at the wilder element on your own Forest. Maybe some of the younger drunker Engine, or BD types. I wouldnt expect Hotshots to be doing that they get plenty of cutting for all of you. Remember check your own bathroom for the tink first.:chainsaw:

sport falling

My experience has been that hotshots/jumpers are the worst of the sport fallers.
They just use better equipment than this.

This isn't FS or other agency folks.

The area where this is occurring is just SE of Bend Oregon. Lots of more than slightly out of control public use there. We've had either three or four abandoned vehicles torched in this general area this year.

Garbage out there can include potting soil, syringes, light bulbs made into crack pipes and Sudafed tab holders.

The cinder pits have an absolutely stunning amount of garbage in them that is being converted to lead. We actually have a small problem with black bark pondo's being shot up so much that they are being killed.

No, we don't need to look further than our fine members of the public for this.

Our engine folks do have a propensity for combining alcohol in party environments and nearby small pile ignition. But you're not going to catch them doing this much chopping without H pay.

its the job of young fellas with energy and nothing better to do...when i was about 10-12 we got fixated on chopping down trees with axes, just to see if we could do it...mostly chopped alders and hemlocks...forest weeds...foolish but its better than hanging out in the malls

Bill,
Rico said there was a web site that people were posting pictures of themselves cutting down these big trees in some kind of a competion. I could not seem to find one. We havnt been struck by this yet. I suppose its only a manner of time.

smokechase II said:
But you're not going to catch them doing this much chopping without H pay.

That's no foolin'. I've heard of a few hand crew guys going out sport falling off work, but they go for stuff that's legal, like firewood snags, and they use saws.

We have problems with that kind of thing up outside of Wenatchee, sounds exactly like where you were describing. Trees dying from being shot, garbage, trees being chopped down... Drunken idiots.

i've seen a lot of trees chopped or cut down for no reason on the logging roads at work. most of them are right off the roadside. kids that get drunk and cruise around the logging roads trying to better each other with the tree size is what i think is happening. maybe if someone told them they could get paid to cut firewood they'd stop dropping and wasting trees for fun and free?

hey smokechase II
Thanks for Pic info about sport falling, i hear about in bend bulletin newspaper, yes i am Local in Central Oregon, but the question is where this incident had occurred. i have seen many vandalism chopped ponderosa every where in back in the woods, mostly just minor damages as bark chipped off from Axe but this one you have show , it serious it shame ppl do this and not realized that Ponderosa is valuable tree in the historys of central oregon, it not very many of them especially old growth Ponderosa, Anyway keep ear open in case some drunken wanted brag about it and turned them in and see them photo on front page bulletin newspaper...
Treeman67

Latest posts

Back