Spotted Lanternfly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked to a guy yesterday at the campground I sell produce at that lives in the heart of the quarantine zone. I asked him if had much problem with the SLF. he didn't have a clue about it.:omg:

Just my personal update about an invasion of Spotted Lantern Fly in this area of PA. The SLF is harmful to various hardwoods (especially Maples), a variety of ornamentals, fruit trees and vineyards. The SLF is attracted to the Tree of Heaven, also an invasive specie. So, I culled all the trees I've found in my own woods, mostly along the edges. I pointed out this large double trunk Tree of Heaven to a neighbor who graciously allows Scout and I to wander their woods. This is what it looked like in late summer:

IMG_4191.jpg

My neighbor asked if I would cut it down (sight unseen) they don't hike their own woods. So, I waited for some colder weather so I could get my truck close with my various tools. This video is me taking down the side leaning trunk branch. These are not structurally strong trees, so I was extra careful, but still had to tease the last fibers before it would fall:

Somehow, with muddy, sweaty, wood chip laden gloves, I managed to record my branching and bucking rather than the felling of the larger trunk. Sorry. But, here are the results:

IMG_4620.jpg

I restored an old No Trespassing sign using my recently acquired very old hatchet. The handle was very loose, so I worked it out, cleaned it up, put it back with new wedges. It has a strong hammer face and a handy nail pulling claw. I keep it in my truck where it is a chore life saver.

IMG_4623.jpg

Finally, just a glamour shot of the Dolmar after her work was done:

IMG_4622.jpg

Hopefully a couple tens of thousands of SLF are now homeless, their preferred feeding tree before laying egg masses dead.

Latest posts

Back