Spray can Tree coat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treemonkey1000

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had to climb a tree that was leaking a lot of pitch. This is a Doug Fir. Apparrently a branch had been cut or snapped off about 25' up and was oozing lot's of pitch onto the Customers cars and driveway. They weren't happy with the situation. I noticed that the bark had split back from this limb. The limb had been cut flush with the trunk like the other limbs around it. Most of the pitch seemed to be coming from underneath the bark. I sprayed it with a off the shelf tree coating in a spray can. Is that stuff any good for Evergreens or Leaf bearing tree's? Or is there better stuff?

The spray paint is worthless. Use the regular type paint that you brush on. Here's how to do it: Empty the paint can onto the ground. Then strategically place the empty can so it catches the dripping sap. Voila! You're done! Everybody's happy.

Empty the paint can onto the ground. Then strategically place the empty can so it catches the dripping sap. Voila! You're done! Everybody's happy.
:eek: I use to use a pruning spray untill I read it was bad for the tree. Guess it can't heal or feed its self with that garbage covering the damaged area.

Originally posted by Yin
[B it can't heal or feed its self [/B]
Umm, I think you mean seal, not heal...
Re the dougfir and sealing, how about wrapping with gauze to trap the sap until it dries? Then it would have a good coating of its own sealant. That or of course park the stupid car elsewhere until the dripping stops but that'd be too easy.

When pines here drip a lot it may be pitch canker disease. Have you researched the problems that you rtrees out there can get?

People and animals heal. Trees wall off / compartmentalize their wounds. Every wound a tree receives it lives with it for the rest of it's life.

Originally posted by Treemonkey1000
I I noticed that the bark had split back from this limb. The limb had been cut flush with the trunk like the other limbs around it. Most of the pitch seemed to be coming from underneath the bark.

Something else is happening here. My experience with Doug Fir is they don't bleed like a Maple or a Birch when you cut a limb in spring. Nor do they bleed from old wounds.

More info if you could,, sounds like some type bleeding canker of some type is starting to work on it.

How does the rest of the tree look????

Larry

Last edited:
Re: Re: Spray can Tree coat

Originally posted by Ax-man
[B sounds like some type bleeding canker of some type is starting to work on it. [/B]
Give the man form IL a gold star for diaagnosing a left coast problem! I was looking up slime flux on oaks in ANTB and read: "Resin oozing from old branch stubs is a good sign of root problems on conifers...the resin flux is commonly associated with borer galleries.":eek:

So like it was said above--Have you researched the problems that your trees out there can get? Look closer; things are bound to get more interesting--and complicated! If you get the right answer, the tree owner owes you one.;)

Thanks Guy,

I try the best I can, the day is fast approaching when I'll be walking in the shoes your now wearing. I'm sharpening my ax so to speak for when that day comes. As long as I can walk, talk, point and yell if need be, I'll be OK.

Larry

Originally posted by Ax-man
I'll be walking in the shoes your now wearing.
Ummm I'm not sure you wanna do that; fungal situations you know.:eek:..plus, can Morris IL support one?
As long as I can walk, talk, point and yell if need be, I'll be OK.
Don't forget dig, smell and whisper:)

Can Morris support one, quote

The people from the Chicago suburbs that want to get away from it all, along with the housing develoment going on right now are virtually changing the area overnight. It won't be long and we will be a far southern suburb of Chicago. Our flat land corn and soybean fields are ideal for housing, no clearing for the developer, just scrape off the topsoil, sell what they don't need and start building mushroom houses.

The landscapers and home owners are still making the same classical mistakes when it comes to tree choices. If there not building on the flat, there in the timbers or what is left of them, again the same old mistakes are being repeated.

Give these trees time to mature or get stressed, Morris will be a good area for a knowledgeable arborist or CA if I make that far.
Of course I'll probaly have more competion in the future, but I'm used to that.

Larry

Thanks all for the input. The tree looks very healthy as far as I can tell. The owners don't have the option of parking elsewhere as it in their driveway and the street doesn't allow parking out there. The split in the bark starts at the bottom of the limb stump and goes up about a foot. It is almost as if the flexing in the tree has caused the bark to pull away from the trunk. This tree is about 30"at dbh and I am guessing 90-100'. The driveway was paved over part of it's roots about 20 years ago. It is sheltered somewhat by the other tree's around it in this cul de sac. I would hate to see it removed and want to save it if I can. The stuff in the can looks sort of like tar. When applied it would foam up some what and thicken. So I figured it was better than nothing at all or a drip bucket

Jim

Guy said something about gauze bandage.

On a Southern loblolly pine I had a similar situation where the humans were complaining about tree poop on their Beemer (I wanted to poop on it too!). It was a storm damaged limb half-way up that spouted sap directionally onto target. Great aim I thought but all I had the first time up was gloves, worn out. I put a glove on the tip and apparently when I cecked it two weeks later it filled with low viscocity sap and held it long enough to allow it to oxidize or solidify...healing the leak. It also looks like this tree is giving the finger to the "civilized neighborhood".

That's fairly common for Doug fir here to drip from a wound to the trunk or a cut on a larger limb, especially now.

One key with limbs over driveways here - either don't cut and shorten them, unless it can be past the driveway or by removing the limb entirely.

If the cut is made over the driveway, its' going to ooze.

Latest posts

Back