Sprocket types?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnbear

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 038 has a worn sprocket which is the spur type and also the original one from the saw. What is the benefit of the rim type and what is involved in the changeover? I'd assume I need a new clutch drum and also the rim sprocket. Do I buy these from my Stihl dealer or ??? If Stihl, what part numbers? Sorry if this sounds elementary but the last sprocket I replaced was on my 028 and I just bought the same thing that was on it new, didn't know any thing about another style back then.:confused:
Finnbear

In the Same Boat

I am in the same boat somewhat. My 028 has the non-rimmed sprocket. I was cutting the other day and the chain did not move when I reved her up. Took the cover up and the little centering spacer do-hicky has just shelled because the reatining clip had come off.

I head over the Stihl dealer in town and low and behold they pull the diagram and it shows a what I believe to be a rimmed sprocket only for it. My deal is that the sprocket is fine and all I need is the little black spring looking spacer thing that keeps the sproket centered on the spindle and the retaining clip.

Should I make the change over too since the dealer seems to think that I cannot get the parts I need? If so, a 7 or 8 tooth sprocket and what else is needed? I would jsut assume to keep it simple and get the little spacer thing and the clip. Where can I find one?

Any advice is helpful and Thanks in Advance!

Cheers,
Jason

The benefit of the rim sprocket is that it "floats" on the clutch splines and lines itself up with the bar reducing drag on the bar and chain. All the parts you guys need should be available from your local Stihl dealer. Every saw I have owned I have converted over from the "spur" sprocket, to rims if they didn't have it. For your needs a 7 tooth rim spocket will do you guys just fine.

Later, Gary

Last edited:
Oops... sorry.:dizzy: Yes, you will have to change the clutch "bell", to accept a rim sprocket. I'm not sure what the part numbers are. I'm assuming that your clutch systems are "outboard" types? Where you have to fit the chain over the clutch assembly onto the sprocket?

Gary

GASoline71 said:
Oops... sorry.:dizzy: Yes, you will have to change the clutch "bell", to accept a rim sprocket. I'm not sure what the part numbers are. I'm assuming that your clutch systems are "outboard" types? Where you have to fit the chain over the clutch assembly onto the sprocket?

Gary

They are inboard types. The 028 requires a little more work than the 038 to convert to rim because of the oil pump gears etc. You can get complete kits from stihl and aftermarket. They range from $15 to $30.

If you use a saw a lot, rim is much cheaper...only $5 to change it out verses an entire drum assembly for the spur type.

Lake, my 028 is an inboard rim. Were all the 028's inboard?

I converted my old 041FB rigid I had over to a rim sprocket setup. Worked like a champ. Of course it was an outboard, so it made it easy.:)

Gary

sponsored forums

Why don't you call and talk to one of the sponsors on the sponsored forums. They sell sprockets everyday. If you haven't ordered a catalog yet do so, today. There are a multitude of tools and parts out there including what-cha-ma-call-it's, thing-a-ma-bobs and do-dads that can keep your wallet emptying and your shop filling up with everything you ever needed for your shop/saws. You'll see stuff in the catalogs you never knew you needed till you see it, buy it and wonder how you got by without it all these years. :hmm3grin2orange: If you don't see it in the catalog ask if they can get it for you anyway.
Once you get the catalog you'll be waiting for the UPS,FEDEX or DHL truck to arrive at your door with all the new stuff you ordered to go along with your chainsaw parts order.
If you can't wait for the catalog to make to your place, snail mail, use their online catalog. How are you going to know what you're missing if you don't even know they make one. Order/request the catalogs.
One thing, IF you own a STIHL saw, the STIHL dealer wants you to come visit his STIHL shop for genuine STIHL parts. He doesn't want you buying aftermarket parts for your Genuine STIHL saws. :hmm3grin2orange:

Which sponsor's catalog would you recommend most? I get more catalogs in the mail than I need already so I'd like to know which one or two I can't live without.
Finnbear

Clutch drum is inboard - sprocket is outboard on my 038.

GASoline71 said:

Gary

geofore said:
One thing, IF you own a STIHL saw, the STIHL dealer wants you to come visit his STIHL shop for genuine STIHL parts. He doesn't want you buying aftermarket parts for your Genuine STIHL saws. :hmm3grin2orange:

There a lot of stihl dealers that use and sell aftermarket parts... and genuine parts.

Finn: If you're unsure of your knowledge, go to a dealer - they offer advise as well as parts. Be careful with freight - often freight on a small parts eats up any difference between mail order and local sales.

The close dealer for me isn't much of a saw shop-they've only had the Stihl line for about 4 or 5 years and cater to the lawn mowing service crowd. Prior to the Stihl line they did not have any saw line to sell so they know lots about leaf blowers and string trimmers and zeroturn mowers and are good to deal with on that stuff but their saw knowlege is a bit lacking. The really good saw shop is about an hour away in a direction I rarely ever go. With gas about to break the $3.00 barrier I'm kind of stuck with the close dealer so I like to figure out exactly what I need before going to the close dealer to order parts.
Finnbear

Finnbear said:
The close dealer for me isn't much of a saw shop-they've only had the Stihl line for about 4 or 5 years and cater to the lawn mowing service crowd. Prior to the Stihl line they did not have any saw line to sell so they know lots about leaf blowers and string trimmers and zeroturn mowers and are good to deal with on that stuff but their saw knowlege is a bit lacking. The really good saw shop is about an hour away in a direction I rarely ever go. With gas about to break the $3.00 barrier I'm kind of stuck with the close dealer so I like to figure out exactly what I need before going to the close dealer to order parts.
Finnbear

Tell me exactly what you want to do and I'll give you the part numbers and list prices. You can then phone your dealer, and have them order or whatever.

I just reread your thread - I know what you want to do... sorry, got confused with another thread.

To replace your existing Spur sprocket with the same item (assuming it's 3/8 pitch), use part number 1119 640 2000. List price $19.55. To convert to rim, the kit is part number 1119 007 1003, and lists for (sit down please...) $56.90.... WOW, that's more than my 088 rim kit!

You might be able to find an aftermarket rim kit cheaper, but the 038 is an old saw now..

if you intend to use the saw a lot, and keep it, rim is the way to go. If you are an weekend warrior type, for that money you might want to just stay with the spur.

Taking back what I said before about the 028 being more complex to convert... if you've done an 028, the 038 is almost identical whether you use the rim or spur system.

Last edited:
GASoline71 said:
Lake, my 028 is an inboard rim. Were all the 028's inboard?

I converted my old 041FB rigid I had over to a rim sprocket setup. Worked like a champ. Of course it was an outboard, so it made it easy.:)

Gary

All 028 were inboard.

Finnbear said:
Which sponsor's catalog would you recommend most? I get more catalogs in the mail than I need already so I'd like to know which one or two I can't live without.
Finnbear
Try Baileys. Great people and great prices. Once you get the book you will find that you will need more accessaries and the will make up for the shipping cost.
I find that it cost me more in gas then to have parts delivered to my frount door.

catalogs

Finnbear said:
Finnbear
Bailey's and SherrillTree. Sorry for the time delay, road trip. Took my son to Bashlin factory and got him a set of spurs with the wide comfy pads. Then to the Vermeer/SherrillTree dealer for a saddle and other things. Like a kid in a candy store, he went through the $ in his pocket and $$$ from mine, Ouch! For now he only does takedowns, spurs are okay for that. His first lesson in footlocking was Thursday, can't let him loose to do trims till he gets the footlocking down pat.

Dumb questions

If the rim sprocket is superior, why does anyone use a spur? Which one damages chain/sprocket more if you throw a chain?

I ordered the Bailey's catalog last night online. I'll order the SherrillTree cat next. Thanks.
Finnbear

geofore said:
Bailey's and SherrillTree. Sorry for the time delay, road trip. Took my son to Bashlin factory and got him a set of spurs with the wide comfy pads. Then to the Vermeer/SherrillTree dealer for a saddle and other things. Like a kid in a candy store, he went through the $ in his pocket and $$$ from mine, Ouch! For now he only does takedowns, spurs are okay for that. His first lesson in footlocking was Thursday, can't let him loose to do trims till he gets the footlocking down pat.

sprockets

Jim Mesthene said:
If the rim sprocket is superior, why does anyone use a spur? Which one damages chain/sprocket more if you throw a chain?
It depends on how much wood you cut. If you use your saw every day you'd want a rim sprocket because they are cheaper/easier to change. A homeowner usually doesn't run a saw long enough or hard enough to require changing a sprocket in a year or two or three. So a spur is fine for him. Run your saw every day and you'll be changing the sprocket every 6 months or so. Spur costs $15-$20, a rim costs $4.95. you do the math. For the price of a spur I could buy 3-4 rims.
I can't say which will do more damage throwing a chain because I don't know how fast you shut your saw off when you throw a chain. You'd notice the drive tangs where getting flattened on the bottom when the sprocket hits the chain it grinds the drive tangs flat on the bottom/ they are no longer pointy. A modded saw can/will do this to a loose chain as skips the sprocket past the chain without throwing the chain.
Spur sprockets usually outlast a homeowners saw. Put 20-50 hours a week on your saw and you be buying rims. It really comes down to how much use the saw sees. It's like asking how often do you need a new chain? If you sharpen your own you'll wear the cutters down to nothing over a few months but if you never sharpen your chain you'd need a new chain everytime your chain was dull. The first time you put it in the dirt, hit a nail or in a day or two of running it. It would be too dull to cut.
Base what sprocket you'll use by how hard/long you run your saw. I use rims on all my saws your milage may differ.

sprockets

I want to make a note here. My sons saw uses a spur sprocket and the first time he threw the chain on MY modded saw, he tightened the chain down against the drum (the rim sprocket is narrow and you have to be accurate and put the chain in the slot). He revvvvs MY saw and the chain didn't move. He had tightened the chain along side the rim sprocket so tight he couldn't move the chain around the bar by hand. "Hey, what's wrong with your saw??? it's stuck." I knew immediately what he had done. Done it myself once. Be careful to make sure the chain is in the rim sprocket (narrow slot) when you put the chain on. That is someting you don't have to worry about with the spur, it's wide. Anywhere the chain sits is good. You learn these things after you break something. It's called a learning curve and I get to pay for it the first time and he doesn't get to use MY saws for awhile. He pays next time. You might want to train the new guys on spur until you think they are ready for rims. Sort of like training wheels. I hope you can smile when it happens to you. And it will until you get used to rim sprockets if your used to spur sprockets now.
And if they aren't used to a modded saw, they'll lean into a cut and be in the dirt before they know what happened. There is that much difference in cutting speed between our saws.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back