spruce deadwooding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafunk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
at the company i work for today we were asked to deadwood 3 spruce among many other things, but each climber took one and pruned it differently, mine i just took off the main dead branches attached to the trunk and some larger ones attached to live branches but left all the small twigs, one of the other climbers got every last twig and left only the living stuff on the ends attached (lions tail?) and the third was less picky about the twigs but still got many of them, just wondering what everyone else does when it comes to a spruce.]
:confused:

We have very few spruces in my neck of the woods, but deadwooding would consist of cutting off any dead branch at the trunk, and going up through the tree a fair distance to knock out all the little dead branches close to the center. The "fair distance" part of that would be determined by the customer's budget and whatever they wished to have done. Nothing live taken away, and lion tailing doesn't count if the lion's tail is the only part still alive.

Seldom done in KC, deadwooding a spruce here usually comes with an option to stump grind.

We have very few spruces in my neck of the woods, but deadwooding would consist of cutting off any dead branch at the trunk, and going up through the tree a fair distance to knock out all the little dead branches close to the center. The "fair distance" part of that would be determined by the customer's budget and whatever they wished to have done. Nothing live taken away, and lion tailing doesn't count if the lion's tail is the only part still alive.
Good answer, one way to help the customer and climber know what needs to come out is to specify remove deadwood anything larger than 1" diameter.

Good answer, one way to help the customer and climber know what needs to come out is to specify remove deadwood anything larger than 1" diameter.

Yeah, I hate it when the work order just says "deadwood" I'll ask the salesman what diameter, and how nitpicky he sold it for. I'll allso ask how much time they expected to be put in to a given tree.

Back