Spruce Removal.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCbound

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What's the smallest width of tree you'll block a top onto? I have a spruce to do. About 60ft tall. It has a very heavy crown and takes a severe bend in the last 20ft. I would have to catch the last 12-15ft to avoid damage. It's over a hot tub and a very nice deck. I figure the width will be about 6 inches where the block would be tied. No room to let it fly or get a crane in.

Can you go a little higher? Anything else close to rig it off of? Spruce is good wood but if the crown is thick that sounds like an awful lot of top to me anyway.

Well, I'll be climbing as high as I can. There is a tree near it but it's about 10ft short and 10 ft away. I plan to rig chunks onto the other tree. But to drop the top on it would be risky. Too much rope between the trees and a little low.

TreEmergancy makes a good point. I did see it in some gusting wind and it 's stable. I usually limb on the way up the work my way back down. In this case I might climb through the limbs and deal with the top. Maybe leaving the limbs on would soften the blow. Does that make any sense.

Out here in alberta I do lots like that, just limb as much off the top as you can to lighten the load a bit. Just make sure your ground crew slows the fall not let it come to a dead halt and that will help with the shock load on the trunk. I wouldn't worry about leaving the limbs, limb it have a good look at the trunk on your way up and that should give you a good idea on how much of the top to drop that your comfortable with. I hope this helps with some ideas for ya.

Back