Spun Crank Seal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was working last night on a 365 converted to 372XPW. It wouldn't idle down but tuned nicely on the high end. Even though the H tuned fine, I finally went after the crank seals. The PTO side seal was just laying there, completely loose! I think the bearing has spun as well, as it's loose. Anyone ever seen this on a 372? How does a seal get loose like that?

BTW, this is a hard worked saw belonging to a tree removal company. These are the same guys that had the MS460 with the bad PTO crank bearing that I just rebuilt for the charity drive. Is there a connection somehow?

Interesting find, Brad, with some interesting ideas to figure it out! I have an old 015 that I can't get to idle down either, have tried multiple carbs, rebuilt carbs, etc. I think it may be the crank seals but I cannot find any replacements out there. Anyone know where I can get some Stihl 015 crank seals?

So the bearing failed because probably running chains too tight? The failed bearing probably pushed out the seal. I personally don't think there would be enough friction between the seal lip and shaft to spin a seal.

Do you have the saw apart yet?

brad my number is my sig.call me and i can tell you a quick fix for the seal. as long as the bearing didnt spin i can put that back in service pretty easy.

if the bearing has not spun it is easily fixed to hold the seal again without having to insert a sleeve. this is as ong as they didnt run it too long this way.

if the bearing has not spun it is easily fixed to hold the seal again without having to insert a sleeve. this is as ong as they didnt run it too long this way.

So....the seal can work loose with out the bearings help? What's the fix? Was the seal not put in far enough to begin with?

i had one spin the seal in the case not to long ago without the bearing being bad. i guess it just happens to be something thats not that uncommon. you can take a center punch and punch the case around the lip of the seal boss. there is a raised taper on the outside of the case around the seal mounting surface. if you center punch the case lightly about 1/8 apart all the way around the case it will shrink the seal boss and will now hold the seal tightly again. you need to use some three bond along with the seal to make sure of no air leaksbetween it and the case. hope this helps sombody save a case some day.

Latest posts

Back