Spur Climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha Ha, Yes that climbing technique is correct. I have read somewhere about wrapping a tree with a lanyard, but I too, feel like its a bad call. It would tighten you up, in most cases because you don't have that much extra lanyard, and would slow your descent in an emergency. If you had a steel core flip line then it might be strong enough, but in most cases wouldn't it be better bore the tree or take other measures to prevent a reaction. A chain, or the end of your bull rope.......a sling with a wrap and a tucked tail would also be quick and have no attachment to you.

Ha Ha, Yes that climbing technique is correct. I have read somewhere about wrapping a tree with a lanyard, but I too, feel like its a bad call. It would tighten you up, in most cases because you don't have that much extra lanyard, and would slow your descent in an emergency. If you had a steel core flip line then it might be strong enough, but in most cases wouldn't it be better bore the tree or take other measures to prevent a reaction. A chain, or the end of your bull rope.......a sling with a wrap and a tucked tail would also be quick and have no attachment to you.
You are confusing 2 separate decisions. One decision is to wrap the tree with your excess lanyard length in a timber hitch fashion. Your tree positioning wouldnt be compromised. The other decision you are joining with this is to wrap your lanyard up even if it means sacrificing your work position by bringing you in closer. I dont know whats less intelligent, wrapping yourself tight to a tree or not being able to differentiate between the 2 methods. And whats scary is how many times its been said. That there are people cutting trees that dont have the problem solving skills to figure this one out. Just because i am tired of the notifications, i'll explain this real simple like.

Your lanyard is standard and the tree splits crushing you. You are not spiking down. You are not rappelling. You are now trapped. The tree split was met with zero resistance therefor you are met with full impact.

Your lanyard is double wrapped in a timber hitch fashion. The tree splits. The harder the tree pushes against the lanyard the more effective the hitch. This could allow enough resistance to prevent the tree from splitting enough to crush you. If it does break the lanyard, you fall to your lifeline and live another day.

To mock a measure of precaution is to mock education that keeps us alive. The same educational advaces that make it safer now than ever.

There are a lot of guys here that have been up a lot more trees than I have. When you are tied in there is nowhere to run from a bad cut. Master the techniques from the ground before trying it 50ft in the air. I have never had one split on me while tied in. I have taken down a few White Ash trees with some pretty big bark inclusions. Keep your rigging gear and climbing gear separate.

We did this one last week....would you double wrap it?
d0199e64bb2ff728fd045079e7d48eee.jpg

Somewhere in this mess I believe he stated that the lanyard is to be clipped to a single d-ring. This would stop the crush and if it breaks you're back to your climbing line. I've done it a lot on those tall bean pole trees just as a precaution but do what I need to do with my cut to avoid splitting or tearing. I think what he meant by kerf cuts is making shallow cuts perpendicular to your notch to avoid the bark and cambium tear out on the sides. I did ground a climber a few years back for almost crushing himself. He took to big of a piece that split and luckily the saw cut quick enough to get it loose. Made him go to a clearing crew and had him drop everything to learn how to avoid the splitting out.

Back