square chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they mess up some right side cutters on one chain and some left side cutters on another, with a few pre-sets you might be able to make a usable loop. But if they shave enough off . . . .

Tying this back to the OP, I find that when someone hits a rock with a full chisel chain the narrow point tends to get bent as well as dulled/abraded. I have to grind away more of the cutter to bring it back to shape than if they hit a rock with semi-chisel chain.

Philbert

Tying this back to the OP, I find that when someone hits a rock with a full chisel chain the narrow point tends to get bent as well as dulled/abraded. I have to grind away more of the cutter to bring it back to shape than if they hit a rock with semi-chisel chain. Philbert
I Can totally agree with this point.

That is a problem with full chisel, if they do not stop pretty quick they literally grind the corner off all the way back- then its burnt toast.

I picked up 2 RS II for under $600 total. Out of all the grinder designs that one makes the least sense to me. It does work well with srcarrs roller bearing upgrade. Without that I don't like them.

I found the swing arm type square grinder to be easy to adapt to. Much more so than hand filing square.

The swing arm grinders are simple and low tech with a low parts count. They should last you a lifetime.

As for the RS II types they are a lot like the Swing arm but as mentioned earlier, the cross slide mechanism is a trouble magnet as it comes from the factory.

I picked up 2 RS II for under $600 total. Out of all the grinder designs that one makes the least sense to me. It does work well with srcarrs roller bearing upgrade. Without that I don't like them.
sell me one!! :)

sell me one!! :)

Both are gone already. I think my next one if I keep milling is going to be a stihl USG or another used square one. Not sure really. I've got good results with square milling.

I'm looking to start sharpening my chains with a square grinder what is the best for the money to buy I'm hoping to find good deal on a used one but if my luck is like any other time I will just end up buying one please help out a good cheaper square grinder would be ?
Responding to the thread. After hand filing myself and having shops sharpen my chains, I’ve found that I get the best results with a Dremel tool saw chain sharpening kit and a raker gauge on my 371XP Husky with stock chain. Quick, cheap, portable, run anywhere. I’d put the edge I get on my chains up against anything done with any other method. Takes a little training, but once you get it, you won’t do anything else.

akes a little training, but once you get it, you won’t do anything else.
When you factor in the human element and inconsistency in sharpening angles, you cannot beat ANY machine that maintains the angles correctly. How it works. You might think you have it perfect, but it's not. I look at a Dremel and a stone or diamond bit as just a primer to getting a machine that holds everything consistently and because I sharpen a lot of chains (for my customers), hand filing is out of the question. In fact, I carry a spare sharp loop with me out when I'm cutting and as soon as I feel the installed loop not self feeding and making sawdust, off it comes and I replace it with a sharp loop and I've educated my customers into doing that as well. Once you start building pitch on the backside of a chain it's done.

Back