Square file jig

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, did see a pic of a goofy file last night, rounded edge.

Kipp, using that guide, are the angles set up in such a way that if one were to use a double beveled file everything would line up?

Not with the standard Atop-guides .325 & 3/8, I have tested with Pferd files that Dave Nieger the kind soul sent me !!!
and I have not tested the new True square guide, the prototype where finished a couple of weeks ago, so now they are setting up the machinery for production, but before they come out on the market they are sending a batch of them for test pilots in USA and Canada, but I hope I can get my hands on one them :)

don't know how they select the test pilots ,,
I've been lucky to test them only cause Göran (the designer) lets me ,,,,
I had the 3/8 guide at home for 4 months testing, then sent it back to him, it was his reference example and is the guide he modified to true square !

The Atop Racing Cut guide will not allow the angles necessary to square file a chain. Much more down and back tilt would be required. I can see where the roller would need to be repositioned to, on the body of the jig to accomplish that but it would take a fair bit of reworking to adapt it. The square filing jig may be a decent tool to square file as the jig is quick to mount to the bar and the indexing mechanism is quick to advance each tooth. I would wait for that to become available. I found the Atop with the goofy file supplied gave a very grabby chain until you filed it back enough to get the 20 thou raker clearance they recommend. I really dont see much difference than round filing with a low file placement that gives a very hooky tooth.

SWE#Kipp, I wonder if the square guide will allow us to change to different angles? I use different angles on my square filed chains. I dont go by the book on what others show in pics and etc. Just trying different stuff outside the lines.
I have only seen one chain that looked like one of my square filed chains and it was suppose to be a old MVP filed chain. Never seen his chain till that day and was suprised how it looked just like mine.

I don't think there will be different angels, but I can not tell for sure ,,,

SWE#Kipp said:
Crofter what chain did you use ??

3/8 Carlton chisel. It probably would be less grabby with semi chisel. here is a pic of the file on the rollers at 90 deg and one at closer to what you would want for true square filing; even at that angle, there is not enough down tilt. The rollers would have to be lower, further back and perhaps angled out more. Course that is a guess. I am interested in what they come up with.

Edit: to add Right side view. The three set screws are used to centre the jig on the bar and only have to be touched if you were using on bars of considerable different thickness. Sorry about the out of focus.

Last edited:
Filing from the outside in is what is recommended in the instructions. I think it would be difficult to see where to keep the file corner in the proper spot on the tooth unless you are coming at it from the tooth side.

Cutters Choice. Roughly 100$ US. Shipping and exchange and an extra file came to 124$ Can. If you wanted to try it out I would make you a deal. Once they convert it to do square filing it may be a good thing. As is, I think it is something to play with butthen I square file quite handily and have a square and round grinder.

Crofter said:
Cutters Choice. Roughly 100$ US. Shipping and exchange and an extra file came to 124$ Can. If you wanted to try it out I would make you a deal. Once they convert it to do square filing it may be a good thing. As is, I think it is something to play with butthen I square file quite handily and have a square and round grinder.

They were just on special for 89.95 in November through Cutters.

opsss... though it already did square filing?

when is the model coming out that supports square filing?

thanks,

Crofter said:

Swe#Kipp has some contact with the designer and info on the version that will square file. This version definitely will not.

Back