Square filing with Granberg Jig

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustybeer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm just getting into milling, bought a new 660 and the salesperson convinced me that square filed chain is the way to go. Having never even sharpened a chain with a round file, I previously bought a Granberg FILE-N-JOINT hoping this would save me. I sucked at square filing, but I found a way to use the Granberg Jig to get what I think is a very good square filed chain and I thought I would share my method. Looking at the picture, I file from the inside but look at the outside corner. For this picture I would support the tooth with my left thumb and draw the file with my right hand. The file sits diagonally in the holder and is held in place by sliding the ends together. The thumb screws to hold the round file are not used.

dusty,
looks like a pretty good rig. i used a device like that years ago to train my left hand to sharpen like my right.
since my dicussion with macman i have been seeking information from as many sources as possible regaurding square file. there are many opinions out there. many people i have talked to have asked me why bother. if round file is winning why change? there is also many opinions within the community of square filers. type of file, file position, inside out or even from the outside in.
i picked up some 6 sided files and have found differant choices of how the file is placed in the cutter. i have already "sacrificed" a bunch of chain attempting to figure this out. i can make it cut but getting it to cut as fast as round file has me really shaking my head. bill lindloff makes it look so easy.
i did find a friend that has an automatic grinder he said i can use but i rather learn the hand file. hard to bring that big machine to an event should i hit something in the wood(very rare but i have seen it).
hang in there. marty

marty at least go grind a chain square on the grinder and make a comparison with your round filed chain. Or send one to Gypo and let him grind one for ya. Let us know how it works out.

is johnny filing or grinding? i can have it ground right here. the problem i am having now is the angle from the point to the inside corner. i have checked around and found that there has to be a straight grind from one to the other. my line is just a little low. my side plate and chisel angle look okay.
i don't want to work the rest of the chain untill i get that down. i need to find a better source for files. at $6.00 each i want to make them last. i am using other means of filing untill i get to the point were i need the correct angle.
marty

go back and take a look at the angle of the tooth I showed you. It might help you. Gypo grinds but they cut real good.

Is the Granberg FILE-N-JOINT better than the other rigs of that type such as the ones from Oregon, Laser or no name brands available out there ?

On the pic it does seem of better quality than the ones I have seen in box stores and hardwares.

i posted some pics of my latest attempts on tony's thread "my first time-made ya look". not much to look at though. marty

Back