• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy square grind attachment for Stihl USG/HOS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you set the bottom slide adjuster to 20 or 25 degrees you get a real close to square looking top plate ,side plate still has some curve ,but the grind looks almost like square chisel

if you set the bottom slide adjuster to 20 or 25 degrees you get a real close to square looking top plate ,side plate still has some curve ,but the grind looks almost like square chisel
Thank you I'll try it. Not sure what I have. Both are NOS both say made in W Germany one is at a fixed angle with only the vise angle being adjustable and the other you can adjust the wheel angle and the vise angle. Both are pre-89 if they say w germany but I thought only the USG had the dual adjustment.

mine is the usg ,i got it from one of the builders in your sig ,it's a nice unit ,here is how close to square i got a cutter on it ,bottom vise adj at 20 degrees ,the 3rd pic i was just using the light off the silvey to show the cutter ,was not done on the silvey ,all 3 were on the usg with the thin stihl disk
stihl grinder usg 045.jpg stihl grinder usg 043.jpgstihl grinder usg 044.jpg

What angle are you setting the motor/wheel at. Does it come close to square performance?
i will have to look again ,i set a new piece of square in the vise ,and adjusted as close as i could to those angles ,i think it was 30 tilt ,which is about 60 on an oregon the stihl #s are different ,20 on the vise slide ,and 20 or 25 on the top plate angle ,on the top plate i turned it till it lined up with the new piece of square ,to the touch it feels very sharp ,looking at it it should self feed nice ,may be a little bit grabbier than square ,but a lot less than reg round ,i have not done a whole chain though to confirm this ,the reason i think it will be slightly grabbier than square is the side plate curve ,the top plate came our real flat like square chisel because i was using the flat side part of the stone there

Silvey Grinders are nearly impossible to find and I just heard over in my thread that the attachment for the Stihl Grinder's is even tougher to find...

I'm jealous, all these old guys have the coolest stuff, while I'm stuck trying to get something set up half as good. It looks like my only choices are an Oregon Grinder or Stihl Grinder. Anyway is there a way to order one of the Stihl Grinders from a better renowned builder or something?

Simington is making new square chisel grinders. Silvey isn't making them any more. They won't outsource the parts to get them cheap enough to be able to sell competitively any more.

Simington is making new square chisel grinders. Silvey isn't making them any more. They won't outsource the parts to get them cheap enough to be able to sell competitively any more.

I saw you post something similar in the other forum. I will do a search on these.

The price on it is cheaper than 3 of the 4 silvey models. I still kick myself for not getting the SDM 4 when madsens cleared some out for $999 a few years back. I bought a swing arm instead. I've had a swing arm and 2 RS IIs and sold all of them. Yeah you have to do the depth gauges on any of the square grinders. Silvey made the HDG 6 which is for rakers and gullets. Slick machine if you cut a lot and grind a lot of chains.

Y
The price on it is cheaper than 3 of the 4 silvey models. I still kick myself for not getting the SDM 4 when madsens cleared some out for $999 a few years back. I bought a swing arm instead. I've had a swing arm and 2 RS IIs and sold all of them. Yeah you have to do the depth gauges on any of the square grinders. Silvey made the HDG 6 which is for rakers and gullets. Slick machine if you cut a lot and grind a lot of chains.
Yeah my silvey drove me freakin nuts. Honestly I'm getting good results with my USG. I still have some square ground chains but I only use them for felling. Biggest diff I notice is how smooth they cut. If I had it to do over I would have kept my rsII and got the stihl usg. USG works great for rakers and IMHO is actually built better (less slop) than the silvey.

Y

Yeah my silvey drove me freakin nuts. Honestly I'm getting good results with my USG. I still have some square ground chains but I only use them for felling. Biggest diff I notice is how smooth they cut. If I had it to do over I would have kept my rsII and got the stihl usg. USG works great for rakers and IMHO is actually built better (less slop) than the silvey.

The RS II is a bad design. The roller bearing setup that shaun carr makes fixes that. I still prefer a swing arm style for grinding work chain. Its just faster.

Back