Square grind chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He just set that up to show the angle capability? The chain shown is stock new RSK Stihl from the roll

Do you have one? I was thinking about getting one to touch up work chains faster than throwing the saw in a vise.....

I have one of the 1st ones sent from Sweden by Goran before they were for sale here. IMO you still would want to mount in a vise.

I have 3 different size rollers they produced but they dont sale for some reason over here. You only get 1 here I think.

You can use a 6 sided bevel file with them with good results. Another friend that stops in uses the 6 sided only and gets way better results then I have so far (in our last test session).

I've just lost interest in this stuff and went back to all round.

310mufflermod006.jpg

e

That makes sense, but if you look at stangs picks he is putting force away from the stop and the tooth he is filling is out side of the clamps?

Yes, you would typically want the chain stopper at either the front of the depth gauge, or the rear of the tooth (chain flipped around from the pics I posted) then the clamps would be on the tooth that you are filing. It holds it very stout. You still have to file from the outside towars the inside. Like I said earlier, those pics were taken from my photobucket that I posted the last time someone started a square filing thread.

I'll try to get some better pics later this weekend, I am out of town for work now.

Let me know when your ready to fix mine. Anything new on a "gen II" block, improvements I'm assuming?

Just a little improvement for more and easier vertical adjustment. Instead of recessing the bolts in the block where you can't get an allen wrench on them nicely I'm putting a strap over the whole block and using longer 1/4-20 bolts. So they'll be a 7/16" hex head the same tool needed for the stock fore/aft adjustment.

Yes, you would typically want the chain stopper at either the front of the depth gauge, or the rear of the tooth (chain flipped around from the pics I posted) then the clamps would be on the tooth that you are filing. It holds it very stout. You still have to file from the outside towars the inside. Like I said earlier, those pics were taken from my photobucket that I posted the last time someone started a square filing thread.

I'll try to get some better pics later this weekend, I am out of town for work now.

This is how i set my oregon jig up, i do like the longer chain clamps

I have one of the 1st ones sent from Sweden by Goran before they were for sale here. IMO you still would want to mount in a vise.

I have 3 different size rollers they produced but they dont sale for some reason over here. You only get 1 here I think.

You can use a 6 sided bevel file with them with good results. Another friend that stops in uses the 6 sided only and gets way better results then I have so far (in our last test session).

I've just lost interest in this stuff and went back to all round.

310mufflermod006.jpg

I can square file chains but I am not fast. And the cost of the files,,,,,, I don't think its worth it.

A good square grind on a chain and it will be noticeably faster than your best round chain.

Yes, with a beak on the top plate, it will act like it is dull even though it has sharp edges.

A beak on the side plate will go dull early on as it will break off.

You had best study the desired angles and measure your chain to see how your results conform?

It is not too bad to (sharpen) hand file an existing square chain as long as you didn't rock it. Not that much different than sharpening a round chain.

But to make a round chain square with a hand file takes a little time.

With a square grinder it is no big deal to make a round chain square.

I hand file round chains right out the box it don’t take long if you’re file is worth a crap. I use a (goofy file)flat file with double beveled edges and just work with it a lot of ppls issue is trying to put to much pressure while filing learn the angles and keep the top line of top edge of file at the point of your top and side plate if you find a way to do that and then it’s easy finding the other angle just by looking at the grind....after about 3-4 filings i take a round file and file out the gullet and continue the square file the chain.... a good square grinder cost $2500 and up!

1st pic new husky chain out of the box....

2nd pic same tooth with 8-10 89DFEA12-E2E6-4631-BC02-FCA2997E76F7.jpeg34949E31-03E3-4222-AEB3-F8DDFF51BD38.jpegstrokes with square grind **HAND** file

Latest posts

Back