Square Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BERN-TIMBER

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know Silvey closed up shop, is Simington still in business? Im getting decent at hand filing but would like to get a grinder to true my chains up and keep everything even. Not too many guys here in PA using square ground all the time so Id like to get something that should it break I can still mail order parts if I need too.

I've heard a few different things about silvey but I think it came down to cost/supply for them.

1270D, does that mean simington is still in business? I dont know much about them, just saw they have a rather antiquated website that doesnt look like its been updated in years, and only one or 2 grinders maybe? I know reading these forums there are a lot of silveys out there, but are these Simingtons well built? Again, I'd happily try one if I knew the company would be sticking around a while yet. Ive just never seem them for sale from any of the bigger retail outlets, like Madsens or Baileys, and outside of that Im on the east coast so Im sure I'll never see one in a store over here.

Simington is in business and selling grinders. They make a swing arm style is the only choice. Madsens is carrying them or you can buy direct. There's lots of silvey grinders out there and parts are still available.

1270D, does that mean simington is still in business? I dont know much about them, just saw they have a rather antiquated website that doesnt look like its been updated in years, and only one or 2 grinders maybe? I know reading these forums there are a lot of silveys out there, but are these Simingtons well built? Again, I'd happily try one if I knew the company would be sticking around a while yet. Ive just never seem them for sale from any of the bigger retail outlets, like Madsens or Baileys, and outside of that Im on the east coast so Im sure I'll never see one in a store over here.

Simington grinders are very well built and are user friendly now that silvey is out they are the next best grinder on the market. Just my option though

I have a Simington swing arm that I bought new from Simington about a year ago. I am very pleased with it and like anything else you need to play with it to get what you want out of it.
I have converted a bunch of round ground chisel to square with it including .325. When I go and cut wood with these chains it always puts a smile on my face.

I bought some spare wheels from Madsons and one I use strictly for .325 and the other two for 3/8.

I have not used a silvey so I cannot compare the two.

The early Silvey swing arm and the first Simington (450) were identical

I've used 3 different Silvey SDM-4's all were awesome. I stopped in at Madsens when they stopped selling silvey grinders to look at the Simington. They look like they have the right geometry fo consistent and accurate grinds but they look like they are slightly janky but still better built than the oregon grinders by far.

Latest posts

Back