Square ground chisel chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you get your grandberg? Do you have to take the chain off the saw or is it a "guide" type?

It showed up in the case with a free saw I got awhile back, and it's the "guide" type. I set it with a 25 degree top plate angle and a 40 degree down angle, then adjust the depth and cutter length to just hit the working corner. I also rotate the file such that the "small" side is below the top plate. Two swipes with a sharp file and I'm on to the next cutter.

I was mistaken! Mine are 2.5x and here's a photo.
That's more like it. Some folks use 3x, but I have 2.5x that I use most of the time and they are comfortable for me to sit and file.

However, with a chainsaw there is no need to use magnification, IMO, the teeth are large enough and spaced far enough apart that I really don't need to use any. I typically do use 2.5 magnification when sharpening handsaws, especially dovetail saws.

It showed up in the case with a free saw I got awhile back, and it's the "guide" type. I set it with a 25 degree top plate angle and a 40 degree down angle, then adjust the depth and cutter length to just hit the working corner. I also rotate the file such that the "small" side is below the top plate. Two swipes with a sharp file and I'm on to the next cutter.

Does it use the flat style 6 sided file or the triangle type? I had to go through Baileys to get my "flat" type, local Stihl dealer cant get them just the triangle type. Not real fond of them. Theres a new thread!!!

I'm using the 6-sided type, where every other side is smaller. I'm pretty sure they're made by either Viaila or Vallorbe; either way they only cost a couple bones at Madsen's. You get 1/2 again more life outta them than a regular double bevel at half the cost per file!

Those full-triangle ones are only good for cleaning up gullets, by my reckoning.

I'm using the 6-sided type, where every other side is smaller. I'm pretty sure they're made by either Viaila or Vallorbe; either way they only cost a couple bones at Madsen's. You get 1/2 again more life outta them than a regular double bevel at half the cost per file!

Those full-triangle ones are only good for cleaning up gullets, by my reckoning.

Just downloaded their catolog! Thanks!!

Instead of buying your 2nd, or 3rd saw of the year, buy a square grinder. You can go entry level for around 850 bucks. It will change your life forever. I mean it. You will truley experience sharp after you get the hang of it.

Instead of buying your 2nd, or 3rd saw of the year, buy a square grinder. You can go entry level for around 850 bucks. It will change your life forever. I mean it. You will truley experience sharp after you get the hang of it.

I could have bought a pro sharp probably with the money I spent on saws just to try them out because no one around me had one. :bang:

I've been getting excellent, consistent results filing square chisel with a hex file chucked up in a Granberg File-N-Joint. Pics later when I get around to it.

Thing is, you want to have your angles trued up on a grinder every few filings no matter what, so this File-N-Joint trick may end up saving me a few trips to the shop in the long run. I file 'em by hand most of the time!

Very interesting indeed, especially considering I already have the file n joint.:pumpkin2:

Latest posts

Back