Squeaky door!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirciulie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score

Hello there,

I know this might have been discussed somewhere in here, but I'm too lazy to go dig for it :dizzy: . And I wanna boost my post numbers :greenchainsaw:

I have a problem with my fireplace door. It squeks like crazy! I went to a fireplace shop and asked them about what should I use and they said that there isn't anything out there for it :confused: What the heck? this is 21st century people. We went to the moon (and back :) and can't figure out a hitemp grease or something like that?

I tried some stuff but it wasn't hitemp so it didn't last very long.

Any ideea would be greatly apreciated. :bowdown:

Mike

Yep nickel anti sieze

availble over the counter. No need to go to the moon. Or powdered graphite, also available on this planet. LOL good luck..

lube

NEVERSIEZE!! 1 dose should last all season. any autoparts store or hardware store will have it.

graphite

Get a number two pencil and put a little of that graphite to work on the squeek.

We have the same issue, tried veggie oil, motor oil, graphited lock fluid, line chalk(got kinda desperate there:D ). The chalk made it worse and all the others evaporated quickly smelling quite bad. I was hoping the graphite in the lock fluid would do something but it did not. I'll have to try the pencil graphite but we have just gotten used to it.
True high temp grease may work but unless its good to 1000-1200F I wouldn't even bother trying it. Burning/evaporating oil products smell bad in your house!

These guys are right that are suggesting a high temperature product like Antiseize, Neverseize or the like. I used it on a bushing on my stove so that it keeps spinning and doesn't stick and it worked wonderfully. Powdered graphite would work for a short while, but it wore off quickly. I can't imagine how any kind of oil would last for any length of time, but some here say that it does. Good luck with your problem!

NEVERSIeze

Thanks guys for the answers.

I'll, try NEVERSIEZE, since it's available and should be cheap. I'll let ya'll know how it works.

Man, I hope that this is would be the end of worries for me.

Wife gets mad at me cause I wake her up at nite time when I reload the fireplace.

Also, gotta change that gasket on the door, it tore apart.

Sweet.

Migh try disassembleing it, cleaning up (sanding) the squeeking parts, apply the neverseize carefully because it will get everywhere otherwise, and reassemble. Be carefull where you put neverseize, because it can be messy, and have no effect if not applied to the proper surface, which is probably inside of the hinge or whatever you have, thus, it may have to be disassembled. Good luck.

Migh try disassembleing it, cleaning up (sanding) the squeeking parts, apply the neverseize carefully because it will get everywhere otherwise, and reassemble. Be carefull where you put neverseize, because it can be messy, and have no effect if not applied to the proper surface, which is probably inside of the hinge or whatever you have, thus, it may have to be disassembled. Good luck.

Good point jerseydevil. I still haven't purchased that grease, because it got warm and don't use the fireplace. And the wife doesn't complain anymore :rock:

MAke sense to clean it up and get the Neversieze in the right spot.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back