Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a thought

Thanks guy for the quick answer.

Red Oak you say? I was thinking Alder, but what do I know? That's good news anyway. One of the best wood we can get here. :clap:

I took a pic of the fireplace also. I love that thing.

I meant I have no room were to temporary store then split my wood because of the sloped driveway. THat's a good ideea to burry a round and use it. That way I don't need to lift them anymore to get them of the ground when splitting. That's why I'm here for advice :bowdown:

So, hope to get all the wood at my house this week, then split and stack it thight for now untill the rains stop. THen I'll get it out in the sun for drying. I'll put it against the fence in the backyard, to my wife's despair. I know ya'll jump on my that I need to keep it away from fence, but that's my only option. I'll try to leave an inch or so gap.

I might be off, but I think he meant that his yard is sloped so he has no flat ground on which to chop. If so, just find a good solid round and bury it, leaving more exposed on the downhill side. There you have your chopping block (see pic).

Poplar I have found is great kindling - just chop it fine and you will never again be down with your face in the fire doing your best Dizzy Gillespie impersonation!

I saw (<< lol ) a site that took an old tire and put on ththe splittin block and put the wood that you are splitting in the tire to keep it from flying down your slopped drive ( just trying to help ) .

Do they even have Red Oak in the PNW? I remember FHCW saying that he would kill for some Red Oak firewood a year ago. I vote for Alder.

I know we have Oregon White Oak. Not sure about Red one. I'm new in this bussiness :blob2: I'm leaning towards Oregon Maple right now. I'll try to find the fruits or some dead leaves from last year. I'm going to pick up a new load this morning when I get off work, so I might get lucky.

Now I just gotta figure out when the heck I'll have the time/energy to split all that wood? I'll have 3 PU truck loads on my driveway...And the maul it's pretty bent out of shape. I overstroke with it and hit the handle. If it breaks, then it will make my decision quicker: time for a new one with fiber handle. I was looking at those Fiskars ones. Any of you have experience with them? I look up in here and found some fancy onces, but I can't justify that much money for a frekin axe :blob2:

Some else asked me how the liner is in my chimney. Well, I have I firebrick chimney with that tile lining inside. Then I ran the stainless steel pipe inside (single wall) and hook it up with some flex pipe to the fireplace. I think it's overkill, but it came with it and the draft is amazing.

I'll go home now, take a good nap then wake up and start hitting them things. :rockn: Hope I don't break my back. But once again, what doesn't kill you: MAKES YOU STRONGER.

CHEERS, MIKE

Do they even have Red Oak in the PNW? I remember FHCW saying that he would kill for some Red Oak firewood a year ago. I vote for Alder.
Alder has smooth gray bark. Burn a lot of alder but much prefer maple. Big leaf is probably our most comman solid hard wood. We have vine maple wich burns great but is usually small and a real b***h to cut.

3 cords would probably be close. Looks like a Lopi Answer which is small one-good stove though and should do the job. What you may notice is the amount of ash depending on what you burn. I have a little stove so that's important from a shoveling standpoint-so I try not to burn elm and won't burn cottonwood. Also, since I like to watch the fire too I like woods that burn lively and bright, not elm, cottonwood, or oak-very boring. I like juniper, either white or douglas fir, pine, pinon etc. Faster heat output too from cold. Drawbacks are shorter burn time but less ash. If I need long burn times I load oak, pecan, or even elm.
Far as splitting, don't kill yourself. You don't have to do it all in a week. A few 15 minute sessions a week and you'll have quite a pile by winter. Enjoy

Take my time???

Thanks bigjake. I don't have the luxury on waiting for it. I leave in a fancy neigborhood and don't wanna get in trouble. Also, I don't have room to park. Add the wife's complaints to this and you see why I have to do it this week. I start my weekend in 5 mins (wed is my Fri...)

I saw (<< lol ) a site that took an old tire and put on ththe splittin block and put the wood that you are splitting in the tire to keep it from flying down your slopped drive ( just trying to help ) .

Gah! I tried a tyre once, only once, till a piece bouced off and whacked me in da ol' shinbones (many new an fresh words were created that moment as my daughter (3 or 4 at the time) was watching me) :monkey: , probably best just to cut one end of the splitting block at an angle and use your first few pieces as a 'dam' to stop stuff from rolling down the slope :D
And yup, definately not alder! (kk, how the heck do you get more than one quote in? GAH! x 2)

:cheers:

Serge

I've never had any success with those fiberglass handles. No matter whether it was in a mason 3 lb hammer, 8 lb sledge or a splitting maul. The handles are fine; just the epoxy bond has broken on every one of them. The traditional wooden handle in my maul has been there at least 6 or 7 years.

One thing that I started doing about 10 or 15 years ago is to take a piece of oak & place it along the front of the handle just under the head. Then I use multiple wraps of that fiberglass strapping tape around it to hold it on.
Oh, I forgot, I wrapped the handle first with the tape & then did the oak thing with more tape.
Al

I've never had any success with those fiberglass handles. No matter whether it was in a mason 3 lb hammer, 8 lb sledge or a splitting maul. The handles are fine; just the epoxy bond has broken on every one of them. The traditional wooden handle in my maul has been there at least 6 or 7 years.

One thing that I started doing about 10 or 15 years ago is to take a piece of oak & place it along the front of the handle just under the head. Then I use multiple wraps of that fiberglass strapping tape around it to hold it on.
Oh, I forgot, I wrapped the handle first with the tape & then did the oak thing with more tape.
Al
Excellent! What I use is a piece of that thickwall red rubber 2" hose, split it down the center and fastend with a couple of hoseclamps, but only on my loaner maul as I never hit my handle (*walks away* lalalalala) :D

The Jury is out!

So, finally got a piece of evidence: leaves and the fruit-key.

It's Bigleaf Maple, which is native here in the PNW. :rocker:

That's good news, cause it will be seasoned by next winter.

Thanks a lot fellas. I'll let you know how the spliting's gonna work. wheneve I get to it...

'till then:

Mike

Big Leaf Maple

...and the prize goes to...bks044. Good call.

That makes me 0 for 1 on the wood ID thing.

PA Plumber...whats your record again...1 for 24? Watch out buddy...there is a new sheriff in town! :p

Dang! I'm too late to say Maple. Helpful hint: Split it now, before it dries out anymore. Maple splits easier before drying out.

Sorry but I have not found this to be true, maybe I've just been lucky but I've split many cords of soaking wet maple that grab at the heads of my mauls, a total PITA and makes for wayy more work. When nice and dry it should just pop like a firecracker if you follow the natural checkings! Alder about the same, but this is only an opinion (heading the flames off at the pass lol). :dizzy: :dizzy: Oak, willow, hemlock, and arbutus (madrona for ya southerners) should be split while ya can, I have a few good stories about them all, some of which I have already posted, gah! :bang:

No offence at all man!

Serge

Last edited:
sticking wood?

I split all day yesterday and the maple was soaking wet. No problem a bit. I don't know what kind of maul you're using. I have an cheapo delux :laugh: from bimart. It's really fat on the top so it never sticks. I hit the concrete a few times with it, so that made it even thicker :angry:

HAving a blast, but my back is asking for a jacuzzi!

Gotta go stack them up.

By the way, I stack them along the fence, like 6-7' away from it, but I got it tall and it fell on the fence. I guess it's gonna stay like that. Next ones I'll line em right against the fence. I know I won't get the greatest air flow, but I have nowhere else to put them.

Cheers.

I split all day yesterday and the maple was soaking wet. No problem a bit. I don't know what kind of maul you're using. I have an cheapo delux :laugh: from bimart. It's really fat on the top so it never sticks. I hit the concrete a few times with it, so that made it even thicker :angry:

HAving a blast, but my back is asking for a jacuzzi!

Gotta go stack them up.

By the way, I stack them along the fence, like 6-7' away from it, but I got it tall and it fell on the fence. I guess it's gonna stay like that. Next ones I'll line em right against the fence. I know I won't get the greatest air flow, but I have nowhere else to put them.

Cheers.
Cool! Maybe see if you can find some old pallets and put em on end against the fence (and under pile too), many places will give them away, will give you good air-flow just cover the top tho.

To late for palets

SPring.

I already got them stacked. they're off the ground cause I have and 2x10 running along the grass. Just gotta put something on top. ANd yeah, still have those gnarly ones that I saved for the end :angry2:

Gotta go get them :greenchainsaw:

Mike

SPring.

I already got them stacked. they're off the ground cause I have and 2x10 running along the grass. Just gotta put something on top. ANd yeah, still have those gnarly ones that I saved for the end :angry2:

Gotta go get them :greenchainsaw:

Mike
Yup I hear your pain, give yourself a break after doing the easy stuff Mike, then you'll be in fine form for the tough ones :p

Yup I hear your pain, give yourself a break after doing the easy stuff Mike, then you'll be in fine form for the tough ones :p

Kind of late for that:deadhorse: I have no rest 'till I'm done. That's just the way I am. BUt I took a little break, I put the kids to sleep in the afternoon and found myself asleep to:monkey:

I'm just glad I'm done. Right in time cause it started raining. I have 2 more truckloads to pick up, but that will have to wait for a better time. Got some other things to do then chopping wood. The good thing about the once that are left is that are nice rounds. No more knots from close to the ground or nasty stuff.

Even got the old chainsaw fixed. I bought an 20 yld Craftsman with 20 bucks. It worked great, but the trigger broke down. I fabric another part out of wire coat hanger and replace the one that broke. Works like a dream.

My job is done for now! :cheers:

Fireplace usage

Folks, I know this is off topic, but I keep reading how you guys load up your fireplaces in the evening, turn the air intake down then you have a fire going untill morning. At least coals, so you can just drop some more wood when you wake up...

I'm either doing something wrong or what?

I have a LOPI Answer fireplace insert. I ran a 6" pipe up the chimney. The draft it's awesome. SO, I load it up at 11PM lets say. By 2-3AM the fire it's gone. I used Cedar latetly, maybe that has to do with it. I don't want to starve the fire too much. Creosote and all the other stuff. Maybe just very little air would be sufficient, added to some good wood, like the maple I cut?

I wann know for next winter, cause I don't want to wake up in the middle of the nite to feed the fire

Any answers/ideas appreciated

Latest posts

Back