Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mirc....I haven't really been able to figure this one out myself...and I am not burning softwood...

The closest I have come is putting huge chunks of elm...really hard stuff...on before I go to bed. Using small kindling there has been just enough left in the morning to keep a fire going, but I am not sure what type of magic some folks are doing to keep there stoves alive overnight?! :confused:

:confused: Maybe the inserts are not that efficient as the stand alone stoves or something like that. I put maple in it tonite and didn't go even 3 hrs....

In order to achieve long burn times

You will do this at a loss of heat output btw.
You will need to damper down the stove to almost off.If you go to tight the wood will smolder and if it has any moisture left at all, It might run out the front of the stove. So you need to tinker during the day for that fine line of how dampened you can go. I can set my home made woodboiler to hold coals almost eight hours. But granted I am only doing this on the warmer nights. As it is not making enough heat to gain any water temps.. Just barely maintaining temps. If the house would be needing heat, I would likely end up with cool water by the am.. But I am not getting up at 3 am if it is not necasary.

fine with low output

It doesn't get too cold here in W Oregon in winter, so I can leave with lower heat output thoughout the nite. Just to make it go all nite...

I have a pile of maple seasoning right now. I'll see this winter how this will work. I had cedar pine and maple this past winter and that didn't keep the fireplace going all nite. Maybe maple alone will get me closer to my goal.

Thx for the reply.

Mike

Latest posts

Back