Srarted work on my winch today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That old brushog deck has a new life, but your eye bolt has quite a narrow/thin surface for a rope/cable to slide on, when you add tension from a load, it will cause shortened life for the rope/cable. You might want to think about a pulley there, something that can swivel a little, but also has access so you don't have to pull everything through everytime you want to remove it.
Looks like some good use of whats handy so far.:cheers:

I admire your ingenuity.....But that's lookin like a "Hold my beer I'm gonna try something"! Hope it works out for ya, Keep us posted!:cheers:

well dag gum it!! now it know what i can use our old bush hog for....ifin i you dont mind, might i use your pics as some guidence if i find time to tinker around w/ it??

what strength rope are you using there-poundage rating compared to cable

very cool:cheers:

Did you weld the differential up?

or how did you immobilize the other axle shaft?

well dag gum it!! now it know what i can use our old bush hog for....ifin i you dont mind, might i use your pics as some guidence if i find time to tinker around w/ it??

what strength rope are you using there-poundage rating compared to cable

very cool:cheers:

I am not going to use rope, that's there just to line things up.

That looks pretty nifty.

Hook up thosens drum brakes and if'n things get a little hurried on the lett'n out part, Yous'ns could hit those there brakes and gets the whole kit and caboodle slowed down a bit.

Last edited:
Did you weld the differential up?

or how did you immobilize the other axle shaft?

I am not going to weld the differential going to mount a brake master cylinder on the otherside to control the winch. just hit the brake lever and the power goes the the otherside to pull the cable.

Cutting the axle down and moving the spool closer to the center would keep the forces from pulling hard on the one side.

Kind of reminds me of 1 I saw at a hill climb this summer. They took a tire off an old VW and made a winch out of the rim. Very euro redneckish

Huck

Chub is right

Cutting the axle down and moving the spool closer to the center would keep the forces from pulling hard on the one side.

If you plan on pulling off to the side like that your not going to be pleased with the results, shorten that tube as much as possable, Id even move the whole thing over a little so the drum was in the middle, a little off set on your drive shaft isnt gona hurt, thats what there made for,.T,C, E,J,

If you plan on pulling off to the side like that your not going to be pleased with the results, shorten that tube as much as possable, Id even move the whole thing over a little so the drum was in the middle, a little off set on your drive shaft isnt gona hurt, thats what there made for,.T,C, E,J,

That's been my thinking too, I guess I'll give it a try and when I am not pleased I'll shorten it up.

Ya know, since the other side isn't being utilized yet, you could mount one of them screw type splitters on there. Winch the log up, buck it, split it, all right there.

Good start

:clap: I realize your not done, but make damn sure you run braces from the axle's(the wider positioning the better) to the arch where the three point arms attach, both sides, It will give you the most strength. Rotary cutters ( depending on the manufactor) don't use very heavy metal in the area you welded the mounts to. That looks like a grass cutter(most people don't realize there's a difference)in that verses a brush hog. Love the brake master cylinder idea. With a 100hp plus You won't have a power issue. My suggestion would be to mount the master cylinder up near the back of the seat(tractor) case **** goes south. Latter if it works out and I felt safe then I move it closer to the pull point. Keep on building, I've got a grass cutter and rear end with racing gears I might try.

Last edited:
Back