Stacking firewood on pallets outside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the responses.

Another question, when stacking against a t-post, it is possible to stack it without criss-crossing the pieces on the end? Or would that put too much pressure on the t-post?

Thanks for all the responses.

Another question, when stacking against a t-post, it is possible to stack it without criss-crossing the pieces on the end? Or would that put too much pressure on the t-post?

No need to criss-cross IMO. I would recommend standing a pallet on end and dropping it right over the top of the t post. This gives you more surface area to stack against which helps when the stack settles during drying. Either way, it's good to give the t-post a slight 'inward' lean.

attachment.php

Those T posts are they the ones used for fencing! Where would a fella buy those?
Thanks
Lawrence

Make sure you get T posts and not the cheaper U posts, they're weak and will bend. A 6' T post here is just a few cents more than a 5 1/2" post. A 6' post driven in till the foot plate is in the ground will give you 4' high over a single pallet on the ground, so I use them rather than saving a few pennies on shorter ones.

Most of mine come from farm auctions though, whenever I get low, I'll send some money with a friend who goes to a lot of auctions and usually get em for half or less than new ones.

I drive em in straight up, they'll lean out just a bit when loaded, but I've never had one give out on me.

A fence post pounder (looks like a 3' piece of pipe with one end capped and a pair of handles on the side) is a tool you want if you need to pound more than just a couple posts. Fairly cheap at about $20 around here.

Make sure you get T posts and not the cheaper U posts, they're weak and will bend. A 6' T post here is just a few cents more than a 5 1/2" post. A 6' post driven in till the foot plate is in the ground will give you 4' high over a single pallet on the ground, so I use them rather than saving a few pennies on shorter ones.

Most of mine come from farm auctions though, whenever I get low, I'll send some money with a friend who goes to a lot of auctions and usually get em for half or less than new ones.

I drive em in straight up, they'll lean out just a bit when loaded, but I've never had one give out on me.

A fence post pounder (looks like a 3' piece of pipe with one end capped and a pair of handles on the side) is a tool you want if you need to pound more than just a couple posts. Fairly cheap at about $20 around here.

For stacking firewood, I use 8' posts and drive them in the ground about 2' or so. That should give it plenty of strength. You definitely need a post driver to drive t-post. To drive an 8' t-post with a sledge hammer, you would have to stand on a ladder to reach up that high, no thanks.

I don't think I should have to worry about the pallets collapsing because I added 2 extra 2x4's to each pallet to give it strength.

My pallets are uniform to hold one-third of a cord with a ripped 2x4 for posts and baling twine to prevent splaying. One loose length of twine about 1/3rd from the bottom and the other one at the top but tied to maintain pallet width when empty.

Since adding the lower string, no more plastic is needed to move the wood around with the tractor, just need to be patient on the slopes.

Two to three years in direct ground contact but with treated pine or white oak bottoms they will last longer.

Strips of tarp underneath will extend the life of the pallet, eliminate the constant ground moisture and make it easier to break the pallet free during the winter.

Oh no - that goes to Whitespider or several others who have stacks neater than mine. A fair amount of mine is free so it's not as uniform as those cutting everything by themselves. The longest time is spent making the ends and even that just takes a minute. If it's not a straight piece it gets stacked between the ends. If it's really bad then it gets set aside to go on the top row. I do have an OCD thing about everything being square though - if it's not a right angle it's a wrong angle!

Or maybe a left angle!

I stand pallets up on the ends and screw them to the one's on the ground with 2 x 4"s. My stacks ain't the neatest but it gets the job done. I can get all the pallets I need at work for free and usually pick through them for sturdy hardwood pallets of the same size.

IMG_0988.jpg

I figured stacking like that would put too much pressure on the end pallets, especially just using screws instead of bolts. But what do I know, I do not have too much experience stacking on pallets. We normally stack all of our wood in the shed except for the stuff that doesn't stack to well, which gets thrown into pile right outside the shed.

BTW, your stack looks alot neater than mine, I never was a very good stacker. No matter how hard I try, I can not get the front side to come out even. I even measure all of my wood that gets stacked.

Last edited:
I stack most of my wood on treated lumber that is usually leftovers from a job. I use a t post on the end drove in about 16". Then about half way up i wrap a wire around the fence post and in about 2' and around a piece of wood. Never had any problems doing it this way.

I figured stacking like that would put too much pressure on the end pallets, especially just using screws instead of bolts. But what do I know, I do not have too much experience stacking on pallets. We normally stack all of our wood in the shed except for the stuff that doesn't stack to well, which gets thrown into pile right outside the shed.

BTW, your stack looks alot neater than mine, I never was a very good stacker. No matter how hard I try, I can not get the front side to come out even. I even measure all of my wood that gets stacked.

I fasten the end pallets to the base pallets with tight loops of fence wire and put diagonal wire brace wires from the tops of the end pallets out to the end of the first base pallet like the 2X4s except higher and longer.

Nice looking stacks.

Has anybody ever been able to get a hold of plastic pallets for free or next to nothing? I would like to use plastic pallets instead of wood since they should last forever. I just have a feeling that plastic ones are hard to come by.

Y
Nice looking stacks.

Has anybody ever been able to get a hold of plastic pallets for free or next to nothing? I would like to use plastic pallets instead of wood since they should last forever. I just have a feeling that plastic ones are hard to come by.

You are likely right. Where I work, wood pallets are just bulk packing materials, but some customers have plastic skids that are inventoried just like parts.

Timusp40, welcome and stick around! Those are beauts of stacks, especially for someone who doesn't even burn wod yet!

Nice looking stacks.

I have quite a few plastic pallets. I get them from a guy I met on a forklift at a vending machine item distributor. They sell items that are sold in vending machines and also supply "roach coach" vendors. I approached him with the question of getting some plastic pallets for free to use for firewood. Turned out he used the plastic pallets for the same reason. Gave me five right off the bat. Now I stop by when I'm in the neighborhood and give him a gift card for Dunkin' Donuts whenever I get pallets so they are not technically free anymore. I also got a few from a local super market. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Y

You are likely right. Where I work, wood pallets are just bulk packing materials, but some customers have plastic skids that are inventoried just like parts.

Timusp40, welcome and stick around! Those are beauts of stacks, especially for someone who doesn't even burn wod yet!

Steve and others,
Thanks for the nice thoughts. A lot of very informed people here. The way I figure it, no harm getting wood now and letting it season while I save for the stove. Found The Arboristsite while searching the web for info on stoves and burning. I"ll be hanging out here quite a bit for sure. This place is more than conversation.

Latest posts

Back