Stacks.....tarps on top or not needed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're forgetting the reason the wood is expanding is because IT IS ABSORBING WATER. When that water evaporates yeah it shrinks back down... but in the time it took to evaporate from the surface, nothing was evaporating from the center. If the wood sits in the rain for two days then takes 5 days to dry out to the same dryness it was before the rain you just lost a week of drying time. Without the top being covered this happens over and over all year long.

Only on the internet will you find people convinced that getting something wet will cause it to dry out faster. :bang:

and btw if it takes your wood 5 days to dry out after a rain you may want to reconsider how and where you pile it ;)

No actually removing the oil dries them out....

Im guessing this is wrong... again im no doctor or dermatologist... kinda like yourself

Chapstick is used to RETAIN the moisture in your lips once they get chapped. Right now I dont have chapped lips... and guess what.. THERES NO OIL ON THEM!

Now your a chainsaw guy turned doctor?:laugh:

The internet is full of people who think they know everything because they know one thing well. Ever see extremely intelligent people tout and profess about how smart they are? Neither have I. They just are smart they dont have to prove it. Like some people with complexes

Show me something I said that was inaccurate.

Im guessing this is wrong... again im no doctor or dermatologist... kinda like yourself

Chapstick is used to RETAIN the moisture in your lips once they get chapped. Right now I dont have chapped lips... and guess what.. THERES NO OIL ON THEM!

THATS WHAT THE OIL DOES BEFORE A PERSON LICKS IT OFF. Your skin is COVERED with oils lol

THATS WHAT THE OIL DOES BEFORE A PERSON LICKS IT OFF. Your skin is COVERED with oils lol

Right, and once the oils are removed, its the constant wetting and drying of skin that further dries it out:rock:

Chapped lips - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well looks like were both right and wrong. Right there in the second line it says chapping may be caused by evaporation of moisture from the skin.

It also says further down the line that chapped lips occur from a lack of oil on the skin.

So it turns into a chicken or egg argument

Right, and once the oils are removed, its the constant wetting and drying of skin that further dries it out:rock:

Well if the supposed mechanism for that to happen in wood is the grain opening and closing repeatedly.... what is the mechanism in your lips? Last time I checked they dont have a grain that opens and closes.

OK - openloop - you're the King of chapped lips. Way to go.

Chapped lips - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well looks like were both right and wrong. Right there in the second line it says chapping may be caused by evaporation of moisture from the skin.

It also says further down the line that chapped lips occur from a lack of oil on the skin.

So it turns into a chicken or egg argument

"Lips normally have a very thin oily film on their surface that provides natural protection against moisture loss. However, in some cases, this film is removed, sometimes due to excessive licking habits, and this causes the lips to become chapped."

No Im the king of not talking out of my ass to support a stupid idea.

I give you props for owning everything chapped lips, and I get called stupid? Classy.

For the record, it looks like wetting lips in addition to the mechanical process of removing oils with one's toungue are both the causes of chapped lips. Hardly a stupid idea - it's just 1/2 of the story.

I give you props for owning everything chapped lips, and I get called stupid? Classy.

For the record, it looks like wetting lips in addition to the mechanical process of removing oils with one's toungue are both the causes of chapped lips. Hardly a stupid idea - it's just 1/2 of the story.

I called the idea of chapped lips proving rained on wood dries faster stupid.... you extended it to yourself. Can you show me evidence that wet (water) lips in the ABSENCE of licking causes chapped lips? Yes chapped lips are caused by the moisture evaporating... but the reason it evaporates is the removal of the oils by whatever means. Are you attempting to state that rain removes oils from the wood allowing it to dry faster????

This is what i was getting at by saying we were both right and we were both wrong:dizzy: Must be a hard statement to grasp. And J1m.... ur not alone. Ive found out trying to have mature, coherent, adult-like conversations with some of the people on this site is like j#*kin off into the fan. Ive been an active member of countless forums over the years, and this one has by far has some of the more obnoxious members ive seen. I call em chainsaw neurologists lol

Well, now that we know oils are what helps keep lips wet, i can assure myself that since I dont plan on dumping any oil on my firewood in the near future, the rain shouldnt hurt it:hmm3grin2orange:

...Another thread gone sideways...

I also think leaving the top off can only help in air flow and uv ray exposure. When it does rain only the top 2 rows will get any wet on the outside, not the whole stack. The circulation and exposure you gain I feel are worth the temporary drawbacks of a little rain water.

I personally love burning the wood off the top of the pile.... all grey and weather torn... you know that stuff is gonna go up quick!

This is what i was getting at by saying we were both right and we were both wrong:dizzy: Must be a hard statement to grasp. And J1m.... ur not alone. Ive found out trying to have mature, coherent, adult-like conversations with some of the people on this site is like j#*kin off into the fan. Ive been an active member of countless forums over the years, and this one has by far has some of the more obnoxious members ive seen. I call em chainsaw neurologists lol

Well, now that we know oils are what helps keep lips wet, i can assure myself that since I dont plan on dumping any oil on my firewood in the near future, the rain shouldnt hurt it:hmm3grin2orange:

Yep. I was going to respond again and point out that in my original post I said that I didn't advocate letting your firewood get wet - but since he was so hell bent on correcting me about chapped lips, there just wasn't any point in it.

And, as someone else pointed out - I'm responsible for setting this thread sideways.

So, with that - I'll get it back on track:

I don't cover my wood until I'm about to store it for winter use. Seems to season/dry just fine, rain, sun, wind and all.

Yep. I was going to respond again and point out that in my original post I said that I didn't advocate letting your firewood get wet - but since he was so hell bent on correcting me about chapped lips, there just wasn't any point in it.

And, as someone else pointed out - I'm responsible for setting this thread sideways.

So, with that - I'll get it back on track:

I don't cover my wood until I'm about to store it for winter use. Seems to season/dry just fine, rain, sun, wind and all.

Well its not like im gonna go outside and hose the wood down! :biggrinbounce2:

POP CORN get your POP CORN here

$.25 per BAG

POP CORN get your POP CORN here

:)

Latest posts

Back