Stand for small diameter logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grawil

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Stand for small diameter logs (sawhorse)

Does anyone have plans for a log stand for sawing smaller diameter logs? Something like this:

productmainimageui9.jpg

Last edited:
Use your imagination, and consider sturdyness vs. transportability in the process...

Make sure the logs end up at a comfy heigth, and consider a support "X" for every firewood length (saves some moving around of the log).

Last edited:
Does anyone have a better picture? I stole that one from the Stihl site but I know I've seen better photos here... just can't seem to find any at the moment.

EDIT: Apparently the phrase to search for is 'sawhorse' in google images.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the "crappy" one I built a while back. I built it in about 15 minutes and used scrap materials......it works fine and I can load it up and cut multiple pieces at a time but it is not horribly sturdy and won't hold a 300 pound log. The vertical pieces are scraps of 2x4 pressure treated and the horizontal wood is a waste 4x4. I cut wood in 2 foot lengths and it allow me to cut 3 measured lengths - if the log hangs over the ends I can cut more by measuring or estimating. It is light enough to carry around - the metal straps on the bottom of the legs are a necessity to keep the legs from collapsing with this cheap construction that just uses deck screws.

attachment.php

Last edited:
search "sawhorse", theres a whole thread with pics here somewhere.

I make all my X's the same same, with 6' lenghths, then 4 cross members to hold it al together. Spaced at 16" for regular cord wood. I stack it all the way to the top with multiple pieces. Strap the whole bundle all together with a ratchet strap, the run the saw through all at once. Falls off like dominoes. Makes fast work of small diameter logs.

Those have always seemed like an interesting idea. I just figure that you'll spend more time moving the unbalanced log along than actually cutting it, right? Seems like more work too me than it's worth, though it would be nice to not have to spend your time bent over cutting small logs that are laying on the ground.

Still, it would be nice to not be all bent over when cutting the small stuff...

Those have always seemed like an interesting idea. I just figure that you'll spend more time moving the unbalanced log along than actually cutting it, right? Seems like more work too me than it's worth, though it would be nice to not have to spend your time bent over cutting small logs that are laying on the ground.

I used to think that way until someone on here put me straight. I have a log stand with 3 sets of legs. You drop a load of 6 foot branches in and make 3 cuts - lo, you have a load of 2 foot logs. Don't move the log, just cut again. You have to be careful about kick back as the logs are wriggling all over the place, but it is OK with a long bar. It is bizarre setting up a saw with a huge bar to cut a load of 4 inch logs, but when they are all bundled together, you have a 36" tree.....

Normally I would not use one and would just cut the wood to length as I am cutting up the tree - however I did build this stand to help with the mess that was made when the power company cleared their right of way. The Tree Service that cleared the power lines on my property cut the logs and limbs in all kinds of weird lengths......there is no way to stack them decently without doing some cutting to get a standard length and it is much easier to cut their weird size pieces in a stand than it is to try and do it on the ground.

This is for cottage use... i.e. definitely not for profit. I look after about 15 acres of woodlands for my in-laws and they use any firewood I cut for heating a drafty old cottage. The soil is rocky so bucking smaller logs and limbs on the ground can be problematic.

I can email you the plans for mine, if'n you want. It's an Excel file. It'll give you the basic meaurements.

'Course, I think most handy folks could work from the pictures, but sometimes it's nice to have a starting point.

Lemme know if you want them.

I've sure found mine to be a big time and work saver.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back