Starter chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..and some older models....

The 262 was a real standout according to this test with 4.9hp/3.6kw, and it weighted as stated by Husqvarna (5.8kg - 12.8 lbs). One source has told me that the first ones made was made on a bigger frame, and probably weighted more (?) Does anyone know anything about this, I don't really believe it !

The Stihls were European versions, the 360 rated at 3.4kw/4.6hp.

Last edited:
Withdrawn models january 2005

I just discovered that the Husky 362 and Jred 2163 now has been withdrawn from the Norwegian market.
As I recall they have been obsolete in the USA for some time.

Is anybody missing them?

I dont really think they are being missed. The weighed about the same as the 365 and 372 (2165, 2171). Power was about the same as the 365, maybe a little more rpms and top end power but less torque. The problem is you could buy a 372 for about the same $$ and I dont think they sold well for that reason. I notice the 362 takes the smaller bar mount where as the 365 and 372 take the the bigger one. This makes me think this saw was designed as more of a "hot rod" to fill the gap where 50 cc saws weren't enough. Maybe certain applications like ROW, thinning, or spacing. I'm sure they were a good saw but the 357 and 359 probably fill the void nicely.

As far as the 262xp goes, they were awesome. I owned two of them and they one of my all time favorite saws. Pretty light, good balance, and great power for its size. It would flat out smoke an 036. The two I owned were in the mid to later nineties and they were identical. I have seen earlier ones without a decompressor (I think) but never one on a bigger frame. That doesnt mean they didnt make it, though. Im sure the 262 was probably the predecessor to the 362.

Nice respons from Brent

Brent, thank you for the respons. It was as I thought it would/should be :) I always wondered why anyone would buy these models (362/2163), without a huge discount.

By the way, there wasn't any difference in power output between 036 and 036Pro, was it?

Last edited:
If memory serves me right, the standard 036 was rated at 4.6 hp and the pro model was 4.4. I may be wrong on that, though. The change may have been due more to an epa carb/muffler change than the pro/standard model designation.

Yes, the drop from 4.6 to 4.4 was EPA driven. When I bought my 036 PRO, the catalog had it rated at 4.6 Hp. I think that would have been 1999.

brent denny said:
As far as the 262xp goes, they were awesome. I owned two of them and they one of my all time favorite saws. Pretty light, good balance, and great power for its size. It would flat out smoke an 036. The two I owned were in the mid to later nineties and they were identical. I have seen earlier ones without a decompressor (I think) but never one on a bigger frame. That doesnt mean they didnt make it, though. Im sure the 262 was probably the predecessor to the 362.

You are right about the lack of decompresser on the early 262xp's. My brother has such a saw. It definitely is on the small frame.

After the 362 was introduced (1997?), husky sold a detuned 262, called 261, for a couple of years (1998-99), at least in the USA.
According to Husqvarna's websites the story varies quite a bit around the world. The 262xp is still offered as current models in Israel and Russia. The 362 is also offered in Israel, but not in Russia. :dizzy:

By the way, the 254xp and 257 are also still sold in Israel and Russia, along with some even older models.

Interesting you would refer to a Komatsu Xenoah saw. In North America it is a Red Max. Virtually unknown here in Canada but they seem to be popular in some US areas.
In the 70's I worked at a dealership that sold Stihl and Poulan, the latter for homeowners. We had 5 and 6 cubic inch models built by Sachs Dolmar! The Poulan minis were painted red and offered as S-D's.
They were not well received by the Stihl boys to say the least. The air intake would plug with chips and snow and chips would build under the throttle shaft plate holding the throttle open. I tried upholstery foam and fine screen as a pre filter but it iced up.

Back