starter pawls, 64 and 66 interchange???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
starter pawls and clip, 64 and 66 interchange???

064, 066, and 660 all use same rope rotor, starter pawls and clip.

If your rope rotor has very much play between it and axle
I would get a new rotor. $8

They can be a pain to change, but where the rope runs
threw the starter cover. Look it over to see if rope has
worn a groove in the steel bushing. Bushing I picked up
couple weeks ago the where $0.85 ea. Once this bushing
wears through it will eat starter ropes.

TT

great, thanks for the info. i need the saw today so i can rob the pawls from my irritating 064, but i will order all these parts mentioned, especially that damn little bushing. my local dealership had told me that the whole cover had to be replaced to fix that rope eating problem. i managed to get my dremel in there and smooth out the rough edge, but im sure it's just a matter of time before it starts doing that again.

Thanks again, Jon

Pic of tool to install bushing, I made one.
But can't find it right now, and I just used it for a 064 :bang:

Bushing fits almost every pro saw Stihl makes 1110 084 9102

attachment.php

TT

Last edited:
064, 066, and 660 all use same rope rotor, starter pawls and clip.

If your rope rotor has very much play between it and axle
I would get a new rotor. $8

They can be a pain to change, but where the rope runs
threw the starter cover. Look it over to see if rope has
worn a groove in the steel bushing. Bushing I picked up
couple weeks ago the where $0.85 ea. Once this bushing
wears through it will eat starter ropes.

TT

First of all let me say "Hi", I am new here. I have done many google searches that have ended up here scanning this mass of great information that is your forum. Secondly, let me appologize for digging up an old thread, I know that bugs alot of people. But I felt this was as good a place as any for me to start.

Let me open this post by saying; "I am no engineer", but: I recently wore out a starter pawl on my little saw (ms180). I don't think this should of happend already seeing the saw is only in it's second year of homeowner use. I thought maybe it was just because it was a smaller saw with less compression and didnt require as much starting force as a biigger saw so Stihl could get away with plastic pawls. So just out of being curious a took the started cover off of my 391, and whattya know; plastic starter pawls. This left me wondering why the hell Stihl doesn't manufature the pawls from aluminum. It would last alot longer than the nylon/plastic pawls they currenly use. If they stihl designed it to fail periodically to generate income from parts sales then fine I can understand that. But why is the no aftermarket alloy replacements for these pawls?

I quoted trigger-time because he brings up a good tip about checking the steel bushing on the starter cover for wear, and that once a groove has been worn into the bushing it will eat starter ropes. Which leads me to my next gripe with andreas, why not make the bushing in the opening of the starter cover from a self lubricating plastic?

It seems to me like they got the two parts and materials goofed up in design. I can't be the only one that this makes sence to can I? If there is a legit reason for the way these things are currently designed then I would love to hear some explanations/opinions from you veteran members or professionals. I will be looking forward to your responses. And while I'm at it, we are close enough so, happy :pumpkin2:

Last edited:
Two things come to mind to possibly help:

1. Don't jerk on the starter. I know "what did you say?" "how can I start my saw if I don't jerk on the starter?" What I mean by that is pull slowly on the rope until it engages the flywheel. If there is a lot of rope out at this time, wind it back in and pull slowly again. This time the rope should be out just a little. NOW pull swiftly. That keeps the little plastic pieces from receiving a sudden jolt, which helps break them.

2. The most leverage from a rope wind comes from a straight pull. You should not pull "around the corner" of the grommet, on the starter. Most of the people I have seen drop start the saw will pull "around the corner". This is what causes wear on the grommet. In other words pull straight up through the center of the grommet and presto! no wear and maximum pulling power.

If you learned differently and don't want to do these things then a little extra parts replacement will be your lot in life.

Latest posts

Back