Starting a fire every day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the same boat. I have a ready supply of dry kindling(usually cedar siding shingles or scrap kd lumber). Keep a steady supply of newspaper and like others said a propane torch with a trigger lighter. I have tried keeping it lit overnight to have some coals to work with in the morning but not worth it. Lots of good ideas coming in, I especially like the piece of wood soaked in diesel.

Every morning, because my house would be too hot to sleep in if I kept the fire going, I put together a very complicated grouping of newspaper, kindling and a source of ignition which is called, a match.

Whoosh. Crackle. I put bigger stuff on and we're good to go. I like things simple and inexpensive. Propane torch? That's certainly a way to take out the inexpensve part. Me thinks this process is being overanalyzed. Remember the Fire Triangle.
Fuel, Oxygen and heat. That's all there is.

Well fire starting with a propane torch works out to about 1c a fire, matches about .5c per fire.
Propane bottle for torch 1.99 about 150-200 fire starts, matches 5c pack use 2 matches per fire on average 10 fire starts.
Bet if you were careful with the torch you could compete with match cost.

Me I blast everything in the kindle pile just for the satisfaction :)

L-O-L . One match?? I use only one Bic Lighter to start dozens of fires...
Heck, when ya' figure how many times ya' can flick your Bic... it comes in about 10 times cheaper than matches (if it matters to ya').
I can't remember the last time I saw a match in this house. The wife keeps a half dozen or so of those long Bic lighters for candles and such, and I've got the pocket size just laying about near everywhere... on work benches, by wood fired appliances, in the vehicles, in my pocket, in the tool boxes, kitchen junk drawer, and whatnot. Friggin' things are dead reliable...

Dyer Lint works great..
I stuff golf ball size pieces of lint into paper/cardboard egg cartons, pour some hot paraffin wax on top, cool, break apart, have a dozen fire-starters in minutes.
Torch em' up, they will burn for 10-15mns
(Will make several dozen at at time)

I use the top down fire lighting method in an EPA stove (non cat). Works really well, much quicker than bottom up.

Instalight charcoal briquettes... Yeah, the ones from the grill... Put about 5-6 in and stack your kindling and big stuff...coals in 15 min. Eeezy peeezy...haha

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Instalight charcoal briquettes... Yeah, the ones from the grill...

I use briquettes to start the fire pit... but not those expensive Instalight, I use the cheapest I can buy.
I keep 'em in a covered metal can soaking in diesel fuel, fuel oil, kerosene or whatever... pull a couple out with a pair of tongs when needed. I lay a few small pieces of wood in the pit, set a couple of those saturated briquettes on 'em, light, and pile on the firewood. I keep adding briquettes to the can as required; they don't need to be covered in diesel, they'll draw it up and become saturated. Heck, a ½ gal fuel will easily treat 20 lbs of 'em, and at two or three per fire start... that's a lot of fires.

Tinder, kindling and matches are for Girl Scouts... real men use fire accelerant and a Bic lighter :rock: :D

i was brought up to only use one match to start a fire. lighter wood makes that very easy to do.
Most Yankees don't know what 'lighter wood' is. I grew up using it in the deep south and sold a bunch of it in my teens. :)

Not much lighter wood here in Mo, so I use a little diesel, keep in in a used gear oil bottle.

I'm not a man so newspaper, kindling and a match and once again, it takes off this morning in my EPA stove. Guess we women just have a talent for keeping things fast and simple.

Oh, I do get more technical at times. When the paper shredder is full, I use that, and a match and kindling.

Back