Stihl 661 Magnum Flooding Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comfixr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got two Stihl 661 magnums in the shop that where purchased this week brand new from the stihl dealer. Both of them cranked & ran fine on day of purchase, but after running them the first day, the next day they wouldnt start because they would flood after 4 to 5 pulls. Bad flooding. Today, I feel like ive pulled my arm out of socket trying to crank these machines. I drained fuel mix & put premixed in both of them. One started the other nothing but flooding. Im going out on a limb & guessing, that when I get back to the shop in the morning neither will start, or if they do, they will not crank after an hour or so. Any ideas?

I've got two Stihl 661 magnums in the shop that where purchased this week brand new from the stihl dealer. Both of them cranked & ran fine on day of purchase, but after running them the first day, the next day they wouldnt start because they would flood after 4 to 5 pulls. Bad flooding. Today, I feel like ive pulled my arm out of socket trying to crank these machines. I drained fuel mix & put premixed in both of them. One started the other nothing but flooding. Im going out on a limb & guessing, that when I get back to the shop in the morning neither will start, or if they do, they will not crank after an hour or so. Any ideas?
You have to hold the trigger WOT when they flood. Doing that at least they will start and might sort themselves out if you can get some run time on them.

If new, return them. Sounds like bad solenoids. That’s what fixed the one I had come in with the same issue but it was over a yr old and had been run hard…firewood yard saw.

If new, return them. Sounds like bad solenoids. That’s what fixed the one I had come in with the same issue but it was over a yr old and had been run hard…firewood yard saw.
they are both brand new out of the box. Both were ran maybe 3 to 4 hours each.

I work on Stihl. Most every day. Nine times out of ten when there is an issue with a new saw it is operator error.
Is that the case here? I have no idea. But, I bet you my house I would have them running in 30 seconds. So, there.
I've got them both running now, lol, I may go deliver them today & give a tutorial on starting them.

Did you not have it on the Triangle setting?

Mad3400
I think they had them on triangle trying to crank them everytime even after they ran them. I finally got them unflooded, dropped premix fuel in both of them. I also turned the fuel all the way down & then cracked them back open a quarter turn. They fired up everytime. So after dropping them off this morning, & doing a little tutorial on cranking them, hes supposed to let me know how they do.

no just 661 Magnums
I suspect maybe 20% of the pieces of equipment that I get in with a won't run complaint are flooded.

Did one about 20 minutes ago.

Mostly, they don't hear it pop. And, on some equipment it only takes a couple of more pulls and she's flooded.

Latest posts

Back