Starting a new business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profit Logger

Reaction score
Okay guys ( girls ) my question is this. I'm from New England and I've worked as a logger for many years running all the usual equipment. In the past months I've been thinking about going into business for myself. I am leaning toward investing in a processor and forwarder so I can cut out a skidder and a delimber. Does anyone have practical advice and preferably someone who already owns their own business. Thanks everyone.

Okay guys ( girls ) my question is this. I'm from New England and I've worked as a logger for many years running all the usual equipment. In the past months I've been thinking about going into business for myself. I am leaning toward investing in a processor and forwarder so I can cut out a skidder and a delimber. Does anyone have practical advice and preferably someone who already owns their own business. Thanks everyone.
Well I am 24 and I started my own business rebuilding chainsaws and small engines locally. But also rebuilding and selling saws when it's slower. Anyway I know it's not the same as logging by any means but probably two things that have always helped are have a money making option for when it's slow, and don't buy anything new and budget the crap out of everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Start small, and avoid banks, unless you think you can feed yourself and a 6000 payment every month on what ever wood is in front of you.

As for equipment, look around at what the folks around you are using and why. Processor and a forwarder are all fine and good on reasonably flat ground and smallish wood.

start getting into oversize stuff that the processor can't handle, then what?

Anyway take a long hard look at the shear amount of cash you will need to purchase even a used processor, and forwarder. (talkin easily 200k if you want something that will work and run), then remember fuel, parts, insurance (way high if you owe money on it) stumpage, then once all thats paid for you still have rent/mortgage, power, fud, etc

There's a whole lot more to it then just slamming trees and getting production, have to bid jobs competitively, and still make money, while not pissing everyone around you off (which by the way, if you find yourself undercutting everyone else by a whole lot... you ****ed up and need to reconsider some things)

Northman gave some good advice. Start small get your name out and avoid having payments. Make sure your on the good side of the balance sheet at the end of the day.
As for pricing stay close to your competition, it will do you better to be within a few dollars of everyone else.

I don't run equipment*harvesters, skidders, forwarders etc* can't afford to (a worn out 40yr old skidder that needs aaton of work just to get running ,thatwould sell for 3-4k down inithe US averag 20-25k here). I stick to just strictly felling, I started doing the odd oversize tree, ocasoccasion some farmers fencline trees or trees that are to close to a right of way or camp rd that slowly grew into building lot trees, vacation camp trees and small private wood lots. usually when I get called the landowner has already arranged getting the trees mo ed just needs a competent Faller. I show up cut what needs cutting limb and buck to specified length, print my bill and wait a couple days for cheque to clear. It's small scale and really niche market but. I cover a large enough area to keep me busy and don't have any big payments.

Best of luck for ya. Always good to see someone starting out on thier own

Latest posts

Back