Starting a tree business in pa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentausherman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been working for a large tree company for last few years. I would like to start my own company. I have a BS degree in forest science. I am young and very motivated. As far as equipment needed I have a pretty good idea what I need. I have most of the tree gear just need the truck and chipper. What are some companies that insure new businesses. I read that arbormax is not for start up companies. Also how does the DOT #s work what is required to have them? I plan to do some lawn mowing as well to get started. Is there a required business license in pa? I am looking for info for pennsylvania. Thanks for the help.

Your are gonna have one heck of a time getting tree insurance, or any liability insurance for that matter, until you are in business 3 years. Best thing is to call a insurance broker in your area, and see if they can get you insurance. Your one saving grace is that you are doing landscaping to, so that will make it a little easier. Expect to pay extremely high rates for the first few years. If you need workers comp, your only option is going through the state fund.

You will have to go online and file for dot numbers. Its free, just a PIA.

If you are going to do any pesticide applications, you will have to get a pesticide applicators licence, and a business licence.

There is not a required business lic for tree work or lawn mowing in pa. If you do water features or hardscaping, your supposed to have the licence. The bs of the whole licence thing is if you do a job that your supposed to have a lic for, even if you have a lic, if your wording in the contract isnt exactly worded as they say it should be, the customer doesnt have to pay.

If your asking about liability insurance, you should have no problem getting it. I went to a local insurance broker and walked out with $300k worth of liability for about $600/year. The cost has gone down for me over the past couple years because I have never had a claim.

If your asking about liability insurance, you should have no problem getting it. I went to a local insurance broker and walked out with $300k worth of liability for about $600/year. The cost has gone down for me over the past couple years because I have never had a claim.

300k in insurance is no where enough in todays world. You need at least $1 million in coverage.

Start off as a tree and landscape service. Tell them mostly landscape and occasionally you do tree but nothing over
50'. Nothing under the ground and no felling. As you business grows you can modify that but for starter keep it simple. Lucky you don't need a contractors lic.
For the truck and chipper, start that simple and small as well.
To many guys get over extended from the start, that not good.
This business can be extremely tricky.

Start off as a tree and landscape service. Tell them mostly landscape and occasionally you do tree but nothing over
50'. Nothing under the ground and no felling. As you business grows you can modify that but for starter keep it simple. Lucky you don't need a contractors lic.

Sounds like insurance fraud to me.

Don't get me wrong, a chipper is the way to go. But you need a 1 ton or bigger. If you're just getting started with a pick up, think about a dump trailer. Plus, the insurance on a pick up trailer combo is less than a big truck. The space you have available to dump your waste makes a difference. We can dump brush at the local land fill free, and I've taken pretty big wood in and they said sure dump it. They tub grind all their yard waste and sell it. I have a little 8' single axle dump trailer and it is one of the most useful tools I've ever bought. It's a Pequea, and was heavier than the others of the same size that I looked at. 5 foot drive on ramp that I can put my little Kubota loader on, bigger tires, brakes, steel tie downs. The only problem, some one is always trying to borrow it, Joe.

Ya ya. 75% of what tree companies do is on the ground. If you are on the ground and moving vegetation its landscaping. It's a legitimate way to describe your business and pay a lower rate.
Typical an insurance company will want you to break down your work specifically. Over state the ground stuff and under state the climbing and removals. Your guessing anyway, just guess in your favor. Besides you might like planting trees, it might pay better as well.
This is just a trick to help get a new company off the ground.
If you pull this and then drop a crane through your customers house, well you'll be needing a bondsman not some random cheap advise.

Latest posts

Back