Starting a Tree Business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's absolutely terrible...almost criminal. What are you thinking!

Get back in line, slave, and stop taking advice from these "will hack for beer" weekend warriors!

Just kidding! These guys are the best in the business. Don't let anyone discourage you...welcome to the site!

Study, ask questions, study, do....repeat. You've come to the right place.

Don't hack for beer...you can buy beer. If thou must hacketh and barter, hacketh for deer meat. :)

No hacking for beer. Ever. Never have, never will. I did get a deer from the neighbor this year - 115lb doe. MMMM. Sticks, chops, roast.:rock:

One other thing...you have to love it. If money is your overwhelming motive then you're wasting you time, try something else.

The money management is important, don't get me wrong, good points already posted, but you have to love this to make it.

I love it, loved it from the start, therefore I strive to learn...and learn it all....the more I learn...the more I love it.

When my friends and family heard what I was going into, they knew it was me.

This is the only thing that has truly given me career satisfaction since I stopped farming with dad and walked away from other ag related interests. There are some choice similarities.

I understand the dynamics of failing businesses, believe me.

Judging from what you posted, you've probably got enough saw chips running through your veins to make a go of it. Good Luck and God Bless.

Yes, I do love being outdoors, the smell of chips stuck all over my vest, the smell of burnt 2 cycle and the vibe of the saw. Yes, it can be back breaking work, but for me, it has been something I look foreward to on the weekends, or after a storm and there's stuff laying all over my backyard, I love it. Really. No B.S. I'm not trying to waste anyone's time, just asking questions for now. Many questions..........

I at least admire the man's motivation;improve his situation through his own hard work.
Do not discard what others are saying here.
Every thing you purchase from here on out ,except your work gloves ,and rake,are going to
1. be very expensive
2.have short shelf life,things wear out faster than you think.
3.have 'warning' 'danger' 'caution' and 'hazardous' written all over them,and for very good reason.
I think if you have a decent job ,and a secure one,you could maybe do your research now,but i honestly don't think this is a good time to jump into it right now.
Have you thought about a small stump grinder maybe?
You can find small ones fairly cheap,but you better be handy with tools ,for repairs ,and maintenence.
Something like that you could do on week ends ,and late after noons.And in the proccess pick up some small removals that are within your skill level.

Thanks for the words Ozz. I have thought about the timing, but something inside of me is saying do it. Now. My job is secure - knocking on my firewood - for now, I'm doing the majority of my research on this site, for background. I have visited the Pictures, Fatalities and Injuries, and others and read every single post within each. I have picked a few things up, such as trying to find a Vermeer dealer, PPE's, a book about climbing and the art of rigging. I know books and dvd's are no substitute for hands-on work though.
Thanks - Steve

Thanks for the words Ozz. I have thought about the timing, but something inside of me is saying do it. Now. My job is secure - knocking on my firewood - for now, I'm doing the majority of my research on this site, for background. I have visited the Pictures, Fatalities and Injuries, and others and read every single post within each. I have picked a few things up, such as trying to find a Vermeer dealer, PPE's, a book about climbing and the art of rigging. I know books and dvd's are no substitute for hands-on work though.
Thanks - Steve

Hmmmmmmmm I sell you mine and teach you how to climb use bucket
then I retire hhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm :monkey:

Hmmmmmmmm I sell you mine and teach you how to climb use bucket
then I retire hhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm :monkey:
Mr. rope will have u workin harder than your father's father had ta work.:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back