Starting a Tree Business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mikecutstrees

Mikecutstrees

ArboristSite Guru
ropensaddle reminds me of an incident this year. I was cutting a 5' tall dead x-mas tree crawled under it to cut it in one shot. The bees nest I didn't see was half in the lower branches and half in the ground. They got a little mad when the tree fell and it split in half, I ran and just about knocked over my groundie his eyes as big as saucers. I said BEES!!!!! yelled like a little girl and ran like my head was on fire and my tail was catchin' ... yeah good times! haha

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
I remember early into my career say five year mark getting re-occurring dreams of me in a failing tree:eek: It was probably from climbing too many dead trees that were looking back crazy to be in. These dreams were too friggin real and finally stopped but were getting to me. It is a sum of all the experiences and the love of the game that keeps us going. I don't know where tomorrow will find me but likely I will be in the business because it is what I do, it is my essence. My only thought is, it may change to doing it for another company or in a different area and much to the dismay of my wife not changing my career. What would it change to, I mean it took years to get good at this, so what would I be a car salesman, yeah right :laugh:

Last edited:
Hometown Tree

Hometown Tree

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm here in North Carolina and i would suggest checking out some of the new videos that are out there. I work as a firefighter and run Hometown Tree Service on my days off. I have used a lot of techniques from the fire and rescue service and a lot of common sense. Just be careful and don't ever worry about letting someone else do the super scary jobs.:chainsaw: Oh and get a mobark chipper they are the best. And stick with the huskys..... love em

Last edited:
Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wow. I must say I'm surprised that very few have ripped you a new azz yet. You're going to need a lot more equipment ( I have about 50 grand sunk into my stuff and it's NO WHERE NEAR ENOUGH ) and since you don't have the skills you're going to need to hire someone with them ( figure 3 to 5 hundred a day for a good climber ) and you are going to need to bust your azz day in and day out for a very long time. If you have the capital to start and the will power to see it through you might have a shot. Have a blast!

(WLL)

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wow. I must say I'm surprised that very few have ripped you a new azz yet. You're going to need a lot more equipment ( I have about 50 grand sunk into my stuff and it's NO WHERE NEAR ENOUGH ) and since you don't have the skills you're going to need to hire someone with them ( figure 3 to 5 hundred a day for a good climber ) and you are going to need to bust your azz day in and day out for a very long time. If you have the capital to start and the will power to see it through you might have a shot. Have a blast!
our walk behind stump grinder was 50 grand:dizzy: there is tree co's that do more with nothing than some with everything. knowlage and experience are key in the tree biz. than comes money.imo you have none of the above and you will mostlikly run your self into the dirt trying to succeed and compete in tree care imo a veteran climber/arborist run there bizz 's the best.

DK_stihl

DK_stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Starting a biz

I too am in the process of "starting a tree business." I have had professional training, and I have a AAS degree in Urban forestry. That is not to say that "I know it all", because I DO NOT. I learn something new every day. I have built up equipment ever since I got my first chain saw at 14. My latest purchase was a chip truck, and my next will be a 9"+ chipper (not a chuck n' duck).
I desire to be legitimate and professional, and I believe that is reflected in my work. I have been in the process of getting licensed and insured for the past two weeks and it is not easy or cheap. That being said, I believe that the investment will be worth it. Any good advice from those with years in the business is always appreciated. Thanks.
-Matt

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
our walk behind stump grinder was 50 grand:dizzy: there is tree co's that do more with nothing than some with everything. knowlage and experience are key in the tree biz. than comes money.imo you have none of the above and you will mostlikly run your self into the dirt trying to succeed and compete in tree care imo a veteran climber/arborist run there bizz 's the best.

Aw, c'mon WLL. You know as well as I do that top of the line equipment isn't necessary. I was just saying figure a min of about 50 to get started and plan on spending big bucks to hire out people that know what they're doing because the OP admits that he doesn't. Yes, having a background and a huge knowledge base is extremely important but I know a lot of old school guys with 1/2 my knowledge that have made a good living by hiring others so I know it can be done. I wouldn't recommend it though.

(WLL)

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Aw, c'mon WLL. You know as well as I do that top of the line equipment isn't necessary. I was just saying figure a min of about 50 to get started and plan on spending big bucks to hire out people that know what they're doing because the OP admits that he doesn't. Yes, having a background and a huge knowledge base is extremely important but I know a lot of old school guys with 1/2 my knowledge that have made a good living by hiring others so I know it can be done. I wouldn't recommend it though.
i understand bud, the post was made fer the new guy ta read. old stuff is fine with me and can be shinny like the rest. i work for a millionaire who bought a tree service and he has to pay most of his profit's to hire people to do everything fer him:dizzy:

Last edited:
Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
i understand bud, the post was made fer the new guy ta read. old stuff is fine with me and can be shinny like the rest. i work for a millionaire who bought a tree service and he has to pay most of his profit's to hire people to do everything fer him:dizzy:

Hey, that works out for you at least! Kinda makes me wonder how people ever got rich if they're dumb enough to invest in something a like a tree biz!

(WLL)

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey, that works out for you at least! Kinda makes me wonder how people ever got rich if they're dumb enough to invest in something a like a tree biz!
he's a trust fund baby with big investments, that just took a dive. he is starting ta come around after 5yrs of tree cutting. he dumps thousands into advertising and fancy's up his rigs with bling. the image seems ta fool the public:dizzy: and work keeps coming in:clap: if our customer's only new what the trees really need he'd have ta change his ways or be shut down like so many other flashy hacks. i try ta help like so many others have. ive sent him here and other on-line sites but they run him off with the quickness:laugh:

Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
I remember early into my career say five year mark getting re-occurring dreams of me in a failing tree:eek: It was probably from climbing too many dead trees that were looking back crazy to be in. These dreams were too friggin real and finally stopped but were getting to me.

That's funny you mention that. Just the other night I dreamed that I rode one down. I was in the top, the wind blew and the tree rocked like they always do but this one didn't stop. I could feel and hear the roots letting go on the backside. I was fliplined onto the side of the trunk when it hit the ground. I remember pulling my right leg and arm out at the last second so it didn't get crushed, then I woke up.

It was the first time I have had this dream, I hope it's not a reoccuring thing. If it is, I will use it to practice my ninja techniques. Just like on Beverly Hills Ninja when Farley launches himself out of the Palm tree, then Chris Rock follows suit, lol, good stuff.

Last edited:
(WLL)

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's funny you mention that. Just the other night I dreamed that I rode one down. I was in the top, the wind blew and the tree rocked like they always do but this one didn't stop. I could feel and hear the roots letting go on the backside. I was fliplined onto the side of the trunk when it hit the ground. I remember pulling my right leg and arm out at the last second so it didn't get crushed, then I woke up.

It was the first time I have had this dream, I hope it's not a reoccuring thing. If it is, I will use it to practice my ninja techniques. Just like on Beverly Hills Ninja when Farley launches himself out of the Palm tree, then Chris Rock follows suit, lol, good stuff.
i think your other end of yer brain is just reminding ya not to do anything stupid, keep a clear head ,stay on yer toes and be ready ta bail :cheers: its so cool how you can be full on cutting, ear muffs and all feel noises threw the hooks and saw the tree. it makes me feel connected in some kind of strange way:)

Last edited:
Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
And how does that make you feel, Nails? Since we're discussing our dreams as if we're in some sort of counseling session I'll disclose that I dream about work all the time. My girl always knows when I'm dreaming about work cause my muscles tense up and wake her up. My most recent one involved me chasing our dump truck across the dump site cause I left it in gear as I was closing the gate.

Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
i think your other end of yer brain is just reminding ya not to do anything stupid, keep a clear head ,stay on yer toes and be ready ta bail :cheers: its so cool how you can be full on cutting, ear muffs and all feel noises threw the hooks and saw the tree. it makes me feel connected in some kind of strange way:)

I suppose. It is kinda weird the stuff your brain can make up that doesn't quite add up. Why would the perfectly healthy tree blow over with a little gust of wind? It would never have happened (I don't want to hear a bunch of crap about root and soil condition either), and if you think it would, you would have a hard time climbing. It's like your dreams just like to taunt ya sometimes.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
And how does that make you feel, Nails? Since we're discussing our dreams as if we're in some sort of counseling session I'll disclose that I dream about work all the time. My girl always knows when I'm dreaming about work cause my muscles tense up and wake her up. My most recent one involved me chasing our dump truck across the dump site cause I left it in gear as I was closing the gate.

Be careful ya better hope ya don't talk in yer sleep wives are vindictive and
some don't believe in dreams:laugh:

Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite

I get this nervousness in my chest now everytime I look at a tree. I sweat as I put my gear on, sometimes I get light headed, have shortness of breath and blurred vision. I haven't been able to set a line or sink a spike into a tree since the incident, I just sit at the base and cry like a baby? Why??????? Why me????????????

I need you help Doctor Blakes, no matter how many sessions it takes. Bill my insurance.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnd, curtain.

Blakesmaster

Blakesmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
I get this nervousness in my chest now everytime I look at a tree. I sweat as I put my gear on, sometimes I get light headed, have shortness of breath and blurred vision. I haven't been able to set a line or sink a spike into a tree since the incident, I just sit at the base and cry like a baby? Why??????? Why me????????????

I need you help Doctor Blakes, no matter how many sessions it takes. Bill my insurance.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnd, curtain.

You need acting lessons too, buddy. Luckily for you, I know a guy.

Latest posts