Starting a Tree Care Service.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A trailer is better than a pickup or minivan. You've got plenty of time on down the line to buy a chipper. First you need to make the money for one.

I would not go with a 192 and a 200. Both are arborist saws and too redundant. For a three saw plan I would go with a 200t then a 260. They don't make a 460 T. T stands for top handle, which denotes arborist saw.

yep, a 200, 260 and 460 will pretty much cover it

What size of bar do you run?

25,000 budget ain't gonna cut it with a chipper in there lol..

Bought my first chipper for 6 gs and put two into it along with some hours. Someone had dropped a log on it..... needed a little work. I built my first truck for 13000 that leaves four grand for the rest. Make it count! The five grand in the bank is for printing flyers, paying insurance, and gas. Like I said, it's the minimum.

Here's the truck and chipper.... and my poodle... ya gotta factor that in your budget too

s24l0y.jpg

I had the T ending on my mind. I meant the normal 460. Maybe I'll just stick with the 2 saw plan

Patriot, I could make 25 grand work in the states but Canada is a different world. Chippers and other used equipment is rarer, harder to find and usually cost more.

2500ish sized pickup with Bedslide to hold all the gear & 5ton Dump Trailer was my thinking.

Last edited:
I had the T ending on my mind. I meant the normal 460. Maybe I'll just stick with the 2 saw plan

Patriot, I could make 25 grand work in the states but Canada is a different world. Chippers and other used equipment is rarer, harder to find and usually cost more.

2500ish sized pickup with Bedslide to hold all the gear & 5ton Dump Trailer was my thinking.

i cut on a 2 saw plan for almost 2 years, 020t and a 346, i had a 16" and a 20" for the 346, i cut big stuff too, cut it all into manageble pieces and hand trucked it on to my flat bed trailer, it was work but i made money and improved, so a dump trailer is def a step up, i suggest you buggit in a nice maul and a few splitting wedges if your guna tackle the big wood

i cut on a 2 saw plan for almost 2 years, 020t and a 346, i had a 16" and a 20" for the 346, i cut big stuff too, cut it all into manageble pieces and hand trucked it on to my flat bed trailer, it was work but i made money and improved, so a dump trailer is def a step up, i suggest you buggit in a nice maul and a few splitting wedges if your guna tackle the big wood

Maul and Splitting Wedges are in the budget// Tractor & Flatbed trailer i have access to as needed for a small rental fee (Basically put gas in it)

Bought my first chipper for 6 gs and put two into it along with some hours. Someone had dropped a log on it..... needed a little work. I built my first truck for 13000 that leaves four grand for the rest. Make it count! The five grand in the bank is for printing flyers, paying insurance, and gas. Like I said, it's the minimum.

Here's the truck and chipper.... and my poodle... ya gotta factor that in your budget too

s24l0y.jpg

Thats pretty sick using your dog as a wheel choke.:msp_mad:

A couple of years ago I was dead wooding a large Oak for my neighbors and had my dog with me. When I shot my line into the tree the throw bag came down and landed in the shrubbery around the tree. My dog went nuts. He thought there was something in there. So I sat and messed with him for about 5 minutes pulling the throw bag up and down. I had him jumping in the air after it. Had to calm him down so I could put it away before he caught it. :hmm3grin2orange:

Everyones gotta start somewhere hauling brush sucks i did it just up intill resently, but haven a chipper intstead of the trailer loadedin brush is almost gonna pay for itself in time, and brush takes up so much more room, more time and more trips back and forth, plus chips are easier to get rid of brush i had to sometimes pay to get rid of!! two saw plan will get u buy i have a 201t with a 14" bar and a 362 with a 25" bar and i dont feel under equiped allthough i do want one more soon

s24l0y.jpg

PatriotTree, how do you like the 1000xl I have never run one, but listening to the you tube videos it seemed pretty good, some sounded a little vibrating but the one video from poland looked like it has a good duty cycle, I have been wanting to up grade to a hydralic feed, currently have a '87 verrmeer 1600 glove destroyer,Pulling it with a 4cyl mitz fuso no power and some times with a heavy load have to have the helper take the chipper to the yard,while i bobtail the truck to the dump, so i have to stay around the 4-4500lb range so was looking for the bc1000xl and the bandit 90xl too, found a bandit 65xl with wisconsin for 4500 in dallas, but the 1600 does light brush fast just beats you to death, it puts 2- 3, 16 foot trailers of brush in my fuso in like 30 minutes tops most trim jobs I have the whole front curb neatly stacked and chip and rake and blow in 30 minutes or so, I halled for years on a 16 ft trailer with 4 ft sides and a large cedar log bolted to 2 chains and used another chain hooked to them to a wheel loader tire full of cement with a cable loop in it at Gardenville for a self pull off, hard on the trucks, now I only pay for the logs and if it is oak mesquite,pecan I dont dump logs, and they take the chips, or in my case shredds for free,
anyway I got the chipper and for the first month hand unloaded my 3/4 ton with flip up side boards then someone stole my grain scoop and 2 digging forks out of back of my truck and I built a dump hoist that week end after "hand" unloading, the 3/4 ton, was less haul off than the trailer so next I found the Mitz fuso and built the subframe dump off of an old 72 c50 that I scraped for the hoist,View attachment 225271View attachment 225272 bought the dry box at junk yard and the set it have an old trees inc bed with removable top that will go on there eventually,
Paul

Latest posts

Back