Starting a tree service business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistonRay

Reaction score
I'm trying to do some research on starting a tree service in CA. The following are my main questions:

Do I need a contractors and/or other type of license from the state?
Do I need to be insured and for what, how much?
Are there any other types of certifications and/or requirements for operating a tree service business in CA?
What else am I missing?

I have been a wildland firefighter for 20 years and I have extensive experience cutting down big, small, green, dead and fire weakened trees. I also have experience teaching chainsaw operation as well as advanced falling techniques. I have also used chippers quite extensively as well. Currently I have an MS460 and MS??? (the smallest top handled saw Stihl makes), a truck and trailer, no climbing gear and no formal climbing training. Other than occasionaly climbing and limbing trees for friends I don't know much about being an arborist.

If I decide to do it, I'm thinking I would just start by getting the required license, insurance, etc. and work small side jobs while retaining my job as a firefighter. If I am succesful and have enough business, then my goal would be to run the tree service full time and retire from firefighting.

Thank you for your time if you respond.

I'm trying to do some research on starting a tree service in CA. The following are my main questions:

Are there any other types of certifications and/or requirements for operating a tree service business in CA?
What else am I missing?

I have been a wildland firefighter for 20 years and I have extensive experience cutting down big, small, green, dead and fire weakened trees. I also have experience teaching chainsaw operation as well as advanced falling techniques. I have also used chippers quite extensively as well. Currently I have an MS460 and MS??? (the smallest top handled saw Stihl makes), a truck and trailer, no climbing gear and no formal climbing training. Other than occasionaly climbing and limbing trees for friends I don't know much about being an arborist.

If I decide to do it, I'm thinking I would just start by getting the required license, insurance, etc. and work small side jobs while retaining my job as a firefighter. If I am succesful and have enough business, then my goal would be to run the tree service full time and retire from firefighting.

I think you should find a job with a legit service in your area, work there for a year and get back to us about how you feel about opening up your own shop.

What else am I missing?

1:Thinking no, but i would check with BOE
2:yes,Being CA i would say at least 100,000 maybe more for property, being bonded wouldnt hurt later on if it dose become full time.
3:California dosent directly cert arborist from what i have read. ISA cert. is your best chance as far as that goes.

as far as learning to climb it maybe worth it to see if someone around your area is willing to teach/show you Also some workshops offered by various groups in arboriculture. That or as the others have said go work for legit company..maybe on weekends or time off etc.

A lot of this is just what i picked up from google so if its incorrect Sorry, someone correct me. It seems better then what others have posted..no offense intended..We have had to start some were, but the paths we choose are different. Hope it helps some what.

What else am I missing?

Woodland firefighters, loggers, and arboristsnhave one thing in common: they all run chainsaws and work with trees. In so many ways the similarities end there. Your falling skills will come in handy, but way less often than you would think. And honestly, without climbing skills, which you will find are an entirely different skillset, and very few of your current skills will help you with, it is kind of absurd to even think of starting a tree service. Welcome to AS, but don't put the cart in front of the horse. Good luck, Jeff

Latest posts

Back