Starting a tree service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what-a-stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been doing tree work for a while now and I have a lot of future work, I'm just getting overwelmed with climbing all these jobs so I spent every bit of money I've evered saved on a bucket truck/ with chipper box and the insurance to go with it. I run a legit business, not a joe smo with a chainsaw and a truck underbidding everyone in the industry because he dosent have the overhead needed such as insurance and comp. Now that I have a much greater overhead myself does anyone have any advice for a young man putting all his eggs in one basket?

Been doing tree work for a while now and I have a lot of future work, I'm just getting overwelmed with climbing all these jobs so I spent every bit of money I've evered saved on a bucket truck/ with chipper box and the insurance to go with it. I run a legit business, not a joe smo with a chainsaw and a truck underbidding everyone in the industry because he dosent have the overhead needed such as insurance and comp. Now that I have a much greater overhead myself does anyone have any advice for a young man putting all his eggs in one basket?

Uhh.. never put all your eggs in one basket?? hahaha...

How long is "for a while now"?

one basket?

Everything in one basket? If your asking ya probably know the answer allready? But I'll ask. What percent will bucket truck be used? Half or more? or Less than half the jobs? Can ya reach backyard work? Side yard work? Or just front? So you pull the chipper with b-truck to job? Even tho b-truck cant reach work? Is there more effeicent ways to work? Maybe not rut up a yard with 20,000 lb truck. Or take fence down and put back up to get there?
There is lighter more maneuveral epuipment out there. Or just wraptor up.. SRT up...
In wet weather months trucks dont leave pavement. Two other competiters here sit a lot in wet months. One guy to old and the other to lazy to manually climb. Learn and master the manual climbing angle along with the b-truck. Hope ya got a contract of some sort to keep your b-truck working.

Plywood party!! thatts one for the tree guy sayings...

If i could only buy one truck to start and could get a bucket i would, if you just get a chip truck your climbing everything at least with the bucket you can use it if you can reach it.

I got tired of climbing everything about 6 years ago and bought a bucket. Best decision I ever made. It more than pays for itself. I use it on 99% of my jobs, even in the winter. Get a few payments ahead and stay that way. Keep a little money put back for tires, batteries, brakes, fuel, oil changes, and an occasional D.O.T. harrassment.

Don't underbid your jobs just to get them. Sometimes it's cheaper to not work than to pay for the luxury of working. You will get underbid from time to time. Don't worry, these guys won't be around very long. Take care of your truck. Go easy on it and keep up with maintenance, wash it regularly and keep the saw dust blown out of the bed. That keeps the metal from staying damp and rusting.

If you start making decent money, don't blow it. Hang on to it because winter is coming. You'll need it then. Be smart about your advertising. I have my name and phone number on both sides of my boom in big letters. When you are working, it can be seen far away. You have to be as tough financially as you are physically to make it in tree work.

Stock up on a few supplies like ropes, saw chains, saws if you can, chain oil, files, and saw parts. Most of the tree guys around here use clevises or natural crotches for rigging. When I bought my truck, I bought slings and several different size rigging blocks, GRCS, Port a Wraps and anything I could to make my ropes last longer. They have paid for themselves and are making me money every day by not buying prematurely worn out ropes. I charpen chains down to nothing, tighten bar rails and level them.

Also with the bucket, if you get to be friends with other bucket owners especially Entergy, you can get some hand-me-downs like used outrigger pads and bucket covers.

I got tired of climbing everything about 6 years ago and bought a bucket. Best decision I ever made. It more than pays for itself. I use it on 99% of my jobs, even in the winter. Get a few payments ahead and stay that way. Keep a little money put back for tires, batteries, brakes, fuel, oil changes, and an occasional D.O.T. harrassment.

Don't underbid your jobs just to get them. Sometimes it's cheaper to not work than to pay for the luxury of working. You will get underbid from time to time. Don't worry, these guys won't be around very long. Take care of your truck. Go easy on it and keep up with maintenance, wash it regularly and keep the saw dust blown out of the bed. That keeps the metal from staying damp and rusting.

If you start making decent money, don't blow it. Hang on to it because winter is coming. You'll need it then. Be smart about your advertising. I have my name and phone number on both sides of my boom in big letters. When you are working, it can be seen far away. You have to be as tough financially as you are physically to make it in tree work.

Stock up on a few supplies like ropes, saw chains, saws if you can, chain oil, files, and saw parts. Most of the tree guys around here use clevises or natural crotches for rigging. When I bought my truck, I bought slings and several different size rigging blocks, GRCS, Port a Wraps and anything I could to make my ropes last longer. They have paid for themselves and are making me money every day by not buying prematurely worn out ropes. I charpen chains down to nothing, tighten bar rails and level them.

Also with the bucket, if you get to be friends with other bucket owners especially Entergy, you can get some hand-me-downs like used outrigger pads and bucket covers.
Thanks for the insight benjo. Others have me that their trucks were money well spent also, hopefully the same will be for me. I'm using crotch rigging at the moment but a port a wrap with slings and blocks is my next purchase.

Well said, I am by no means tired of climbing, but Treeclimber57 and I partnered up and bought a bucket truck from a fellow AS member from Penn and a bigger chipper locally. With the contracts I have we pretty much had to buy one, and it has been a great investment! We are doing more work in less time with it, makes our operation go way smoother. It's basically a big billboard on wheels. It's in very good condition, and we have gotten positive comments from other tree companies as well on it. We live in a mostly rural area with 3 decent sized cities around. We roll out the plywood when necessary, climb when necessary, use a crane when necessary etc... but now we have the right equipment for any job that the hacks around here just can't do or have the ability to do. That's what set's us apart from them. So they can go make their $100 a day while we make more then they make in a month in a couple of days. But yeah if you can get a decent truck and chipper for a decent price go for it......your work will only pick up!

I think it probably depends on your locale, but around here, bucket trucks seem to bring business.
People assume that if you own a bucket, then you must be good. I know, I know...but that appears to be
The line of thinking. Keep it up and keep it insured, do good work and I'm sure it will reward you with more
Business than you've ever known.

best investment ive ever made was buying a bucket. In the tree buisness if your trying to make a living off of it you almost need one im cutting trees 5-6 days a week and if i had to climb everything i would be well and wore out by now. you could climb everything but once you get a bucket you can work longer and faster wich generates more $$. the bucket truck turned up the money for me pretty well. i just purchased a knuckleboom crane off of timberland trucks in virginia it will be done in september waiting on the boom to get here from italy. im trying to get to the point where they go straight from crane to chipper all i need now is the chipper to do 20 inch or so.

Back