Starting Business: Please Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all. I have always wanted to own my own small operation and now I have the chance. I am going to be starting my own small tree care business and could use some help starting out. Any recomendations on bidding jobs, insurance policies, etc. are greatly appreciated. I alos am not sure how to find a name of the business that has not been used already. I have some ideas, but need a web site to go to that I can patent my name. I'm in for a ride and man, does it feel good. Thanks, Tim

Step 1, decide the type of business you want to establish.

DBA or fictitious name businesses are the cheapest and easiest to start. $50.00 to register your business name, go to the bank and open a business account, and voila your in business.

Corporations and LLC's are $125.00 to start, and involve more paperwork, but insulate you from certain liabilities, and have certain tax advantages.

Whatever you choose, make sure you get an accountant and pay your taxes quarterly, or you could be one unhappy camper on 4-15-06. Ive been there,
and its not fun.

Heres a link to Ohio secretary of state this has all the info you need to file your business name. Good luck!

http://serform.sos.state.oh.us/sos/ohio secretary of state

Thanks Treepro. Yeah, I already got the accountant thing taken care of. A friend from high school is gonna help get me started.

DO NOT START OUT UNDER CAPITALIZED! Yes, I am screaming that at you. Make sure you have enough funds to pay your expenses for at least two months with no income. When I started my business in 1983, I was working full time for an airline and working the business on my days off. I worked seven days a week for 5 years. As business (read customer base) got better, I worked for the airlines part time and went into the tree business full time for 6 months, then I quit the airlines and finally was able to get some days off again. Be committed to make this thing work and be prepared for a lot of disappointments in the beginning. Looking back, all the sacrifices was well worth it to me. I would never have been able to afford to buy a house in Hawaii if I was still working for the airlines. If you currently have a full time job, keep it and work the business on your days off until you are sure you can make a go of it, or at least have a part time job for some added income. It is very rare to start a business and immediately be busy all the time. The hardest thing is establishing a good customer base. It will took me 10 years to get a customer base big enough so that I don't need to look for work. The repeat business and referrals they give me is more than I can handle in a timely manner. I had one customer call me yesterday to reserve a day in August. :p They are learning.

Koa Man: Yeah, when I say that I am starting small, I mean really small. I intend to keep my part time job to keep some kind of income coming in to pay off the small loan I am taking out. I have just had it with having bosses and working for other people. Ya know? (I am sure you do since you got your own outfit!) Thanks for the advice. The main reason that I am doing this is because so many people have been asking me about their trees that I figured that might as well do it on my own. Again, thanks for the input.

chipper said:
so many people have been asking me about their trees that I figured that might as well do it on my own.
When they ask, what do you say? the more you know, the more you can help them, and the more valuable your work, the more $$$ you make.

www.treesaregood.com

Koa Man said:
business on my days off. I worked seven days a week for 5 years. As business (read customer base) got better, I worked for the airlines part time and went into the tree business full time for 6 months, then I quit the airlines and finally was able to get some days off again.

You Get Days Off???? I Have to spend mine Maintaining equipment and giving Free estimates!

I have a good deal of knowledge about trees. Diseases, soil preference, proper Pruning, feeding, etc.. It was just such a pain when I didn't have all the equipment to tend to the customers needs.

Latest posts

Back