Starting Cold Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think instead of starting the saw, one should take it indoors, and warm it slowly in an electric blanket.
Somehow the thermal "shock" won't be much different, if one wants to push the dis-similar metal theory.
Pretty much, the theories don't hold up.

The real question......................

What about idling for a few minutes to "cool down"????

Anyone going to push that one?????
Well according to Stihl it is best to let it idle a little when hot in order to cool a bit to protect components like ignition and carb from thermal overload! Makes good sense to me. And as far as reving the piss out of a saw I wouldn't do it if it was brand new not broken in but I don't think it will harm a worn in saw. Am I right ?

Well according to Stihl it is best to let it idle a little when hot in order to cool a bit to protect components like ignition and carb from thermal overload! Makes good sense to me. And as far as reving the piss out of a saw I wouldn't do it if it was brand new not broken in but I don't think it will harm a worn in saw. Am I right ?
Where does it say this about idling down?
Just for the thread, of course......

The real question......................

What about idling for a few minutes to "cool down"????

Anyone going to push that one?????
I do it on hot days to avoid heat soak vapor lock. It does help some.

I do it on hot days to avoid heat soak vapor lock. It does help some.
My friend has an old ford van with a 300 6 cyl in it. He baby's the hell out of it always warms it up for about 5 min and drives easy. I laughed at him because he covered the mirrors with plastic bags when parked cause birds crapped on them. He has close to a million miles on it believe it or not.

A little warmup time is probably a good idea, I don't rev the piss out of a cold saw like some folks I've seen, I know folks that if you borrowed them a 2 foot chunk of railroad track they might bring it back bent like a horseshoe and Ask if Warranty will cover it.
In hot weather If my saw is pretty hot from working hard I prefer to use it for a couple minutes of easy work before shutting it off.

It would be interesting to take temp readings, to see what spike of temps occur when shutting down. I would think that they would include piston temps as well, but I doubt that any of it really matters...
Aluminum dissipates heat almost immediately, magnesium, I don't know.
But including the carb and coil, well, who knows?
Infinite number of variables....

It would be interesting to take temp readings, to see what spike of temps occur when shutting down. I would think that they would include piston temps as well, but I doubt that any of it really matters...
Aluminum dissipates heat almost immediately, magnesium, I don't know.
But including the carb and coil, well, who knows?
Infinite number of variables....
I imagine the ign and carb are pretty sensitive.

So a chainsaw is the same as a car or fire truck?

It's still an internal combustion engine. Is it that much harder to fire up a chainsaw when it's cold outside and let it run for a few seconds before you start flogging it?

Everyone is fully entitled to their opinion. If you want to jump in your car and it's below freezing out, hit the ignition and floor the gas at the same time, by all means, go ahead and do it.

I've seen lots of people abuse their property, be it vehicles or the house they live in. Some don't have the common sense Gawd gave to a large box of smooth river rock.

Latest posts

Back