STAYING ALIVE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once." (Mark Twain)
What do you all do to keep accident free?

Too generic,, what is your question? We are probably all different in many way's,,(mom and pop),,(only residential),,(only commercial),, etc,,,,,,
So be specific to our demographic difference's,
I do not know your area , but in mine, we do not advertise or do residential unless it works out,,we are a TCIA Acreditted.
We have a safety meeting every week,
Jeff

too many things to list. If you wanna narrow it down to, say, climbing... or chainsaw operations, or chipper operations or whatever, then you'd probably get very good answers

For example hung up failed leader with many things factors to consider.
I will talk out loud to myself so that my brain hears what it is thinking.
Creates an audible feedback loop so the mind can walk thru the steps and
see any potential dangers, look for options, make a safe plan, commit to memory, and communicate with others etc
They call it Self-Talk and also prepares the mind and body for the climb and actions required
similar to what Spiderman does

For example hung up failed leader with many things factors to consider.
I will talk out loud to myself so that my brain hears what it is thinking.
Creates an audible feedback loop so the mind can walk thru the steps and
see any potential dangers, look for options, make a safe plan, commit to memory, and communicate with others etc
They call it Self-Talk and also prepares the mind and body for the climb and actions required
similar to what Spiderman does
And out loud so the others can hear it and make comment. Usually I'm going to over ride their comments but on occasion, issues are pointed out that make sense to consider. Otherwise I stay focused on the issue at hand and do NOTHING like I've been doing it forever. You never know what could go wrong. Every branch is different. All motions are deliberate and to completion. Always using my head and never chance anything. Everything is 1000% safe or it's done a different way, maybe taking a longer time, but will be 1000% safe.

I was taught certain rules, and ways to do things. I don't break the rules. When I get tiered and fatigued, I double check and second guess my actions. When I'm climbing, I'm truly in the here and now, living in the present minute. Staying focused is staying safe. I Zen it up in the trees.

I am learning everyday......just don't ever assume all will be ok.....question what you are doing.....

Pay attention to your gear at all times, pay attention to your surroundings at all times, pay attention to your wallet at all times. The last one is the most important, when I come home with no money, my house is unsafe.

Back