stayman winesap apple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally293

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just purchased a Stayman Winesap Apple tree, never before have I had the pleasure of planting and caring for a fruit tree. I am looking for any information on the care of a fruit tree. Any suggestions will be greatly appreicated.

Fruit tree care

Fruit tree care is not terribly difficult. Prune it properly, that means time it right, prune at the appropriate place on the branch and give it a pickable shape that is open to maximize air flow and light penetration which will help reduce fungus problems and help ripening. Feed the tree twice or more yearly, once at bud set in early spring and once again after fruit set (pollination). Use a balanced nutrient with trace minerals. Keep an eye out for something with a ratio of 1-2-2 (this is not the analysis you are looking for it is the ratio). Water as necessary through summer to ensure healthy fruit and long term tree health. Irrigate at ground level and avoid using the lawn sprinkler etc.

Thats the basics as I can tell you. Please ask away if there is anything I missed that you want to know.

Latest posts

Back