Step one of OWB complete- I fought the 200' black snake and won...13 hours later!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dparkguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I do know all this work will be worth it when I fire the OWB up and can heat my entire house and garage. BUT, installing the underground lines darn near made me go nuts. 6 hours digging a 5' long tunnel under a driveway, 2 hours Friday with a 6" x 36" tracked trencher, 5 hours Saturday cleaning out the trench and 8 hours Sunday prepping and installing the pipe. I included some pics showing what steps I took in installing the pipe. The entire pipe was wrapped and sealed with heavy duty billboard fabric. I then took 4'x8' sheets of EPS insulation and ripped them in 6" wide strips. I wrapped and sealed the insulation in another piece of billboard fabric creating an 8"x8" package. Turned out very nice and I'm hoping for very little heat loss.

If you haven't had a good nights sleep in a while I know you did after all that work. Job well done! Digging under your drive way had to be a challenge.

Looks like your doing it right...You'll soon forget about all that hard work when it's pumping heat.....I'm taking notes watching you guys install these OWB
Hopefully i'll put mine in before the snow flies..

Where are all the rocks? I couldn't go 2 ft, probably less ,without hitting some large rock here.

Where are all the rocks? I couldn't go 2 ft, probably less ,without hitting some large rock here.

All the rocks I found fit in a 5 gallon bucket. Biggest obstacle was some tree routes and not dropping the trencher in the hole on my 2nd pass. Tracked trenchers are awesome!

If you haven't had a good nights sleep in a while I know you did after all that work. Job well done! Digging under your drive way had to be a challenge.

I've done a lot of digging. This by far was the most difficult 5' of my life! But there was no way I was screwing up my driveway!

Lotta work!

I think..if I had to do that hole under the drive, would have used a power fence post auger.

I've done a lot of digging. This by far was the most difficult 5' of my life! But there was no way I was screwing up my driveway!

I guarantee I would have ripped up that area. That is patience but man a little soft pack... Who would have known the difference?

Nice clean install so far. Nice digs too.

Back