Step up from a 455 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Got a 455 Rancher. Fine saw. No issues. Bucked up many cords of wood.

We've got a giant oak coming down, along with five or six massive pines. Going to need something with some more balls.

Suggestions for a solid step up? I don't think I need a 40" 140cc saw, but something a bit more robust would handy.

Thanks.

Biggest difference is the 572 is the biggest they offer.
Is a 572 as good as or better than the 385/390? I cannot say, but it seems to me on this side of the Pacific, 372's are dime a dozen over there- well maybe not dime- but kick a stone, any stone and there will be a 372 under it!
Lots of availability, lots of parts, lots of bolt on extras available (big dawgs, wrap handles, bars) easy platform to work on or maintain- well proved and much loved series.
All depends on how big of a chunk of wood you have to cut up and how deep your pockets are.
Sure you can mess about with big bars and skip chains on a 72cc saw, but would a 90-95cc saw do it easier? If your logs are mainly under 30" then the 72cc might be a good option, over that the 90-95cc saws might be better.

A good running 371 Xp/372xp will fill anyone’s needs for a medium size saw.

Biggest difference is the 572 is the biggest they offer.
Is a 572 as good as or better than the 385/390? I cannot say, but it seems to me on this side of the Pacific, 372's are dime a dozen over there- well maybe not dime- but kick a stone, any stone and there will be a 372 under it!
Lots of availability, lots of parts, lots of bolt on extras available (big dawgs, wrap handles, bars) easy platform to work on or maintain- well proved and much loved series.
All depends on how big of a chunk of wood you have to cut up and how deep your pockets are.
Sure you can mess about with big bars and skip chains on a 72cc saw, but would a 90-95cc saw do it easier? If your logs are mainly under 30" then the 72cc might be a good option, over that the 90-95cc saws might be better.

372’s at $0.010 / a dime a dozen where? Do they run too?

372’s at $0.010 / a dime a dozen where? Do they run too?

Read the entire post Bill.
Anyhow, running ones are no good to you, nothing to bolt cheap Farmertec top ends to and you are not the one looking to buy remember?

Read the entire post Bill.
Anyhow, running ones are no good to you, nothing to bolt cheap Farmertec top ends to and you are not the one looking to buy remember?

but If it’s a screaming dime a dozen deal I may look at it.

I do have a new farmtec 372 motor assembly.

Btw The 350’s seem to dryup. Most of what I see are stripped down to there crankcase for $40+$30 ship. That puts a negative on that deal. I see the other 350’s over $200+. Can’t make any money there.

My company had a division in Mexico the workers were paid $0.45 an hour. I wonder how much an hour the Chinese worker makes.

Thanks guys. 372 was what I had in mind. So that pretty much confirms it. Thanks.

Looking for a used rebuilt 372xt?
xp?

perhaps. Dad and I are going halves on it. He's got that giant ass oak. I have the pines. Figured we'd split the costs. So I'd run it by him first.

Thanks guys. 372 was what I had in mind. So that pretty much confirms it. Thanks.

xp?

perhaps. Dad and I are going halves on it. He's got that giant ass oak. I have the pines. Figured we'd split the costs. So I'd run it by him first.
The newer ones are XP, X Torque. People call them xt for short.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I added a used Stihl 046 to my 455 Rancher, that is easily taking care of the larger wood. I've got no complaints about the 455, still use it for small, quick jobs. Just added a Stihl 661 as well, it is quite a step up, but mine is dedicated to milling and any very large wood that needs cutting. A 25" bar on the 661 would be quite a useful saw for most anything.

372 is $800, and for $50 more a 576xp. 24" bar for no extra charge.

Thoughts? Seems like the general consensus is 372 is preferred because it handles better. But I don't want to get too close to the 455 I have now.

Personally, if I was going to drop the cash demanded for a new saw- I would opt for the newest one.
A 372 can be found easily on the secondhand market and one can be rebuilt fairly easily- a far cheaper way of gaining the 372 experience.
Buying new I would opt for the 576, because I would not be buying it to tinker with and void any warranty, plus I am okay with auto tune.

Personally, if I was going to drop the cash demanded for a new saw- I would opt for the newest one.
A 372 can be found easily on the secondhand market and one can be rebuilt fairly easily- a far cheaper way of gaining the 372 experience.
Buying new I would opt for the 576, because I would not be buying it to tinker with and void any warranty, plus I am okay with auto tune.
I would do used myself, but I'm going halves with someone and they 100% insist on new mostly because of warranty. So, I'm sort of stuck shopping for new.

Latest posts

Back